8 Fun Ways to Live Longer (No Diet or Exercise!)
Q: Everyone is always talking about dieting and exercising when it comes to staying healthy. But I’ll be honest – at this point in my life, I’m probably not going to do either. Are there other things (other than diet and exercise) that can help me live longer and healthier?
Dr. G: Boy, John, you sound like lots of patients I know! I can talk until I’m blue in the face about diet and exercise, but they don’t want to hear it.
I do hope you’ll reconsider and find some small ways to eat better or get more exercise… just a few tweaks can make a big difference.
But you asked for other suggestions for living longer, and there are plenty. Here are 8 of my favorites:
- Take a vacation! The Framingham Heart Study followed 12,000 people who were at risk of a heart attack. It showed that the more often men took vacations, the longer they lived. The benefits extended to women as well. Those who took 2 vacations per year were 8 times less likely to develop heart disease.
- Get married. The words “for better or worse” aren’t included in your wedding vows for nothing. But regardless of life’s ups and down, marriage is great for helping you live longer. One study found that being married reduced the risk of premature death in middle age, while those who weren’t married were twice as likely to die early. If you’re already married, give your wife a big “thank you!”
- Have more sex! A study in the British Medical Journal showed that those who have sex regularly have 50 percent less risk of dying from a heart attack. If you want to live long, I can’t think of a better way to do it.
- Get a pet. Anyone with a pet knows how much they add to our families — but I bet you didn’t know they add YEARS to your life as well! One study showed that people who had pets were much more likely to survive having a heart attack.
- Sing! This one might seem silly, but this simple act can decrease stress, improve heart health, and help prevent depression… so it’s no wonder it was also found to help you live longer too. (Quality of singing had no impact on the results of the study.) Maybe volunteer for the church choir.
- Volunteer. I find that people who dedicate themselves to helping others have a better outlook on life and seem to be healthier in general. And according to one study, if you volunteer at two or more organizations, you could extend your life by 44 percent.
- Go to church. People who go to church regularly tend to have lower blood pressure and better immune systems, so it’s no surprise that they live longer, too.
- Spend time in the sun! By now you know that I think getting plenty of natural sunlight in the morning is one of the best things you can do for your overall health. Studies show that those who spend the most time in the sun have less heart disease and live longer.
Want me to answer your question next? Email me at email@example.com
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Your personality says a lot about who you are and how you look at life. But did you know it can also impact your disease risk? More specifically, it can impact your risk of developing dementia. Find out what these two specific traits can tell you about your risk. Psychologists say that there are five...
The government’s track record on health advice is about as reliable as your local weather forecaster’s. (Hint: It stinks.) But if Uncle Sam has scared you out of eating your favorite foods (or at least made you feel guilty when you do), then today’s your lucky day. Research has finally vindicated some of those “bad”...
If you only read one article this week, this should be it. It could give you a fighting chance in the COVID-19 era. A new study shows that a certain drug can reduce deaths among patients with severe cases of COVID-19. This is the among the FIRST drugs to show a fighting chance for coronavirus...
Healthy diets don’t have to be boring or bland. In fact, adding in spices can make your food tastier… and it can pile on the health benefits, too. There’s one spice that’s a staple in our house. I put it in everything from soups to smoothies. And research shows it can help you beat just...
The more we learn about cancer, the more one thing becomes clear: It can be prevented. Research has estimated that HALF or more of all cancer deaths could be prevented by making better lifestyle choices. There are obvious ones, like not smoking and maintaining a healthy weight. But then there are the not-so-obvious ones… Like...
Alzheimer’s disease is one of the fast-growing conditions in the US. More than 5 million people have been diagnosed, and it’s expected to balloon to 14 million in the next 40 years. There’s no cure for this brain-robbing disease—but scientists have identified some key strategies for making sure you never have to worry about becoming...
If the cancer doesn’t kill you, the treatment will. That’s the sad truth about mainstream’s best (and worst) cancer treatment. Chemotherapy is notorious for causing horrific stomach issues like nausea, pain, and can even damage your intestines. Fortunately, there’s a way to END some of these horrible side effects. And it all starts by getting...
If you’re diabetic, you’ve probably been told to stay away from fruit and bread—basically anything that will increase your blood sugar. So this latest finding will seem rather bizarre. A certain FLOUR made from weird-looking FRUIT is not only safe for diabetics… it can actually help DESTROY the disease. They’ve been eating it in India...
Have you ever noticed that as you get older, you don’t quite “bounce back” from things the way you used to? The common cold might last longer… or might take you a little longer to recover from exercise. But if you’ve suffered from heart issues, it can be much more serious. Because the older you...
If you’re suffering from the miserable and difficult-to-treat pain and stiffness of rheumatoid arthritis (RA), you might be skeptical of natural pain relievers. And who could blame you? You need relief… and you need it FAST! Fortunately, the research is in on a golden spice… and it should satisfy even the biggest doubting Thomas. Studies...