8 Fun Ways to Live Longer (No Diet or Exercise!)
Q: Everyone is always talking about dieting and exercising when it comes to staying healthy. But I’ll be honest – at this point in my life, I’m probably not going to do either. Are there other things (other than diet and exercise) that can help me live longer and healthier?
Dr. G: Boy, John, you sound like lots of patients I know! I can talk until I’m blue in the face about diet and exercise, but they don’t want to hear it.
I do hope you’ll reconsider and find some small ways to eat better or get more exercise… just a few tweaks can make a big difference.
But you asked for other suggestions for living longer, and there are plenty. Here are 8 of my favorites:
- Take a vacation! The Framingham Heart Study followed 12,000 people who were at risk of a heart attack. It showed that the more often men took vacations, the longer they lived. The benefits extended to women as well. Those who took 2 vacations per year were 8 times less likely to develop heart disease.
- Get married. The words “for better or worse” aren’t included in your wedding vows for nothing. But regardless of life’s ups and down, marriage is great for helping you live longer. One study found that being married reduced the risk of premature death in middle age, while those who weren’t married were twice as likely to die early. If you’re already married, give your wife a big “thank you!”
- Have more sex! A study in the British Medical Journal showed that those who have sex regularly have 50 percent less risk of dying from a heart attack. If you want to live long, I can’t think of a better way to do it.
- Get a pet. Anyone with a pet knows how much they add to our families — but I bet you didn’t know they add YEARS to your life as well! One study showed that people who had pets were much more likely to survive having a heart attack.
- Sing! This one might seem silly, but this simple act can decrease stress, improve heart health, and help prevent depression… so it’s no wonder it was also found to help you live longer too. (Quality of singing had no impact on the results of the study.) Maybe volunteer for the church choir.
- Volunteer. I find that people who dedicate themselves to helping others have a better outlook on life and seem to be healthier in general. And according to one study, if you volunteer at two or more organizations, you could extend your life by 44 percent.
- Go to church. People who go to church regularly tend to have lower blood pressure and better immune systems, so it’s no surprise that they live longer, too.
- Spend time in the sun! By now you know that I think getting plenty of natural sunlight in the morning is one of the best things you can do for your overall health. Studies show that those who spend the most time in the sun have less heart disease and live longer.
Want me to answer your question next? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
When I was a kid, I loved to gulp down a cold, creamy glass of milk – especially with my mother’s homemade cookies. But somewhere along the way, the government and the food industry tampered with one of nature’s perfect foods—taking out the fat (and all the taste)—and I stopped being such a fan. But...
When it comes to stopping breast cancer, mainstream medicine doesn’t have much useful to say. They’ll talk all about the benefits of early detection – but that only catches cancer AFTER you already have it. I think we can do better… In fact, there’s a special type of omega-3 fatty acid that’s 8 TIMES more...
For years, the medical establishment has told us that any damage done to your heart is irreversible. You just had to make do with the healthy parts of your heart that are left. I’ve always believed that was total nonsense… and another study is proving I was right. Because it turns out there’s an easy...
Fixing a key underlying deficiency could have you harnessing your body’s fat-burning power in just minutes a day—without diets or exercise.
Alzheimer’s. There’s a laundry list of reasons why this condition is so tragic. You don’t just lose your memories and your independence – it even changes your behavior and what it means to be you. While some researchers are frantically searching for a cure, others are doing their best to stop it from developing to...
It’s hard to imagine a bigger hoax foisted on the American public than the cholesterol/statin myth. The Big Pharma propaganda machine has managed to convince millions of people to take a dangerous drug for an imaginary problem. These drugs cost a fortune and come loaded with side effects, yet studies continue to reveal that they...
Your responses to my new pain survey keep rolling in… and I’m seeing firsthand how pain is controlling too many of your lives. One woman wrote how her fingers hurt so much, she can’t even hold a pen anymore. Nobody should have to live like that… and you don’t have to anymore. Because, believe it...
Thanks so much to all of you who responded to my pain survey last week (if you still haven’t taken it, click here). I’ve been absolutely overwhelmed by your response… and by your stories of the ways pain has impacted your lives. One reader wrote how she used to walk her dog every day, and...
Let’s face it – none of our bodies are quite as limber as they used to be. And lots of times, the problem starts as soon as you roll out of bed. You start your morning with stiff, aching joints. But it turns out that morning stiffness could actually be a sign of something much...
It was one of the largest studies of its kind… and it ought to have millions of Americans very nervous. A new study showed that people who work at night are sending their cancer risk through the roof. Maybe you retired a long time ago… but that still doesn’t mean you’re out of the woods....