8 Fun Ways to Live Longer (No Diet or Exercise!)
Q: Everyone is always talking about dieting and exercising when it comes to staying healthy. But I’ll be honest – at this point in my life, I’m probably not going to do either. Are there other things (other than diet and exercise) that can help me live longer and healthier?
Dr. G: Boy, John, you sound like lots of patients I know! I can talk until I’m blue in the face about diet and exercise, but they don’t want to hear it.
I do hope you’ll reconsider and find some small ways to eat better or get more exercise… just a few tweaks can make a big difference.
But you asked for other suggestions for living longer, and there are plenty. Here are 8 of my favorites:
- Take a vacation! The Framingham Heart Study followed 12,000 people who were at risk of a heart attack. It showed that the more often men took vacations, the longer they lived. The benefits extended to women as well. Those who took 2 vacations per year were 8 times less likely to develop heart disease.
- Get married. The words “for better or worse” aren’t included in your wedding vows for nothing. But regardless of life’s ups and down, marriage is great for helping you live longer. One study found that being married reduced the risk of premature death in middle age, while those who weren’t married were twice as likely to die early. If you’re already married, give your wife a big “thank you!”
- Have more sex! A study in the British Medical Journal showed that those who have sex regularly have 50 percent less risk of dying from a heart attack. If you want to live long, I can’t think of a better way to do it.
- Get a pet. Anyone with a pet knows how much they add to our families — but I bet you didn’t know they add YEARS to your life as well! One study showed that people who had pets were much more likely to survive having a heart attack.
- Sing! This one might seem silly, but this simple act can decrease stress, improve heart health, and help prevent depression… so it’s no wonder it was also found to help you live longer too. (Quality of singing had no impact on the results of the study.) Maybe volunteer for the church choir.
- Volunteer. I find that people who dedicate themselves to helping others have a better outlook on life and seem to be healthier in general. And according to one study, if you volunteer at two or more organizations, you could extend your life by 44 percent.
- Go to church. People who go to church regularly tend to have lower blood pressure and better immune systems, so it’s no surprise that they live longer, too.
- Spend time in the sun! By now you know that I think getting plenty of natural sunlight in the morning is one of the best things you can do for your overall health. Studies show that those who spend the most time in the sun have less heart disease and live longer.
Want me to answer your question next? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Maybe you’re trying to control your weight or blood sugar. So what does your doctor tell you to do? Count calories… eat healthier… and exercise more. But, believe it or not, ONE bad habit could be ruining all of your hard work. And it could be putting you on the fast track to obesity, diabetes,...
Let me ask you a question. How many prescription medications are you taking right now? If you’re like lots of American seniors, you’re probably taking plenty. Maybe one drug for your heart… one for your diabetes… and maybe even an antidepressant or anti-anxiety med. But what if you could solve ALL of these problems with...
They say there are two guarantees in life: death and taxes. And I’d add another one to the list: If you get diagnosed with cancer, I guarantee your doctor will tell you to get chemotherapy. Better safe than sorry, right? Wrong. A new study on chemotherapy and breast cancer is about to turn the entire cancer treatment...
Tired of giving up everything you love to chase down perfect blood sugar levels? I don’t blame you. Who wants some cranky doctor telling them what they can and can’t eat? Not me. So instead of telling you what you CAN’T eat, I’m going to tell you what you CAN. Because ADDING one simple food...
It’s one of the scariest things about getting older. I’m not talking about getting cancer…or diabetes…or even dying. It’s the fear of losing your mind. With Alzheimer’s at an all-time high (and climbing), you have every right to be worried. But there’s a common nighttime problem that may be sending your risk of brain shrinkage…...
I don’t know about you… but I have no plans to “grow old gracefully.” I’m going to fight Father Time tooth-and-nail. But there’s nothing that makes you feel older than looking in the mirror and seeing new wrinkles. We’ve always been told there’s nothing we can do about it. NONSENSE! My friends at Gold Leaf...
Why does dieting have to be so hard? You practically stave yourself… you work out like a Green Beret… and the scale won’t budge. But what if your weight issues aren’t your fault at all? New research proves that a simple diet deficiency may be FORCING our bodies to pack on pounds. And correcting it...
Being diagnosed with cancer is terrifying enough. But here’s where things get even worse… When your doctor tells you that your type of cancer is particularly hard to treat. But what if there was an all-natural way to make these hard-to-treat cancers easy to kill? Believe it or not, the solution exists… and it’s probably sitting...
There aren’t many guarantees in medicine – but this is as close to a guarantee as I can give. If you keep your arteries clear, there’s a very good chance you’ll NEVER have a heart attack. But here’s the problem… Mainstream medicine wants you to protect your arteries by taking cholesterol-lowering statin drugs. And that’s...
Q: My daughter has anxiety issues. We have been investigating CBD oil for a while, but are confused about one thing: Is there one CBD oil for anxiety, another variety for pain, etc. Or does it come "one size fits all?” -Larry P. Dr. G: I don’t blame you for being confused. Our government spent years driving...