Dr. G’s 5 Ways to Stop Flu
Q: I decided to skip the flu vaccine this year because I’ve heard that it might be dangerous. The problem is, now I’m worried that I might not be as protected as I need to be. Do you have any recommendations for staying flu-free this winter?
Dr. G: Congratulations, Pat! Skipping that shot was one of the BEST preventive measures you could take for avoiding the flu this winter.
Did you know that the shot itself can CAUSE the flu? One study showed that getting a flu shot increased your risk of respiratory infections by 4.4 times.
Not to mention the fact that the shots have been linked to everything from allergies to autoimmune disease.
(And I won’t even mention how shockingly ineffective they are.)
But you’re right, the flu can be extremely dangerous, especially the older you get.
So while flu shots aren’t the answer, you should still be taking active steps to prevent the flu this winter.
The best way is to make sure your immune system is up to the task.
Here are 5 ways to keep your immune system up to par through the winter flu season.
- Strengthen your gut. This one might seem like it came from left field…until you find out that 70% of your immune system resides in your gut. Taking a quality probiotic will help restore the balance of healthy bacteria in the gut. You can also load up on good bacteria with fermented foods like sauerkraut, kefir, and yogurt.
- Vitamin D. Vitamin D is associated with the production of cathelicidin and other immune system peptides that are powerful antiviral and antibacterial agents in our cells. This won’t just help prevent the flu, but will help protect against all kinds of infections.
- Ginger lemon tea. This one contains three benefits in one. Ginger is a potent anti-inflammatory, lemon helps us resist colds, and increasing fluids (like tea, broth, and water) helps with digestion, as well as with keeping your throat and airways clear.
- If you do start feeling a cold coming on, reach for zinc. This immune-booster stops the replication of a cold’s cell—a protective action that can shorten the number of days you’re sick. Foods like pumpkin seeds, spinach, and oysters are loaded with zinc.
- Finally, stay away from processed foods, and stick with organic food instead. Non-organic food can carry the residue of toxins such as glyphosate (the ingredient in Roundup), which impair the immune system. Along those lines, consuming too much sugar can suppress your immune system for HOURS.
Want me to answer your question next? Email me at email@example.com
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Most of my patients are SHOCKED when I tell them the news… The biggest threat to your health… and the best predictor of how long you’ll live… isn’t your genes or your family medical history. It’s literally EVERYTHING else around us. From the food we eat to the air we breathe, we’re SURROUNDED by toxins...
“I just wish I could do it all over again.” I can’t tell you how many times a patient has sat in my office and uttered those very words. They want their health back… they want to feel the energy, vitality, and DRIVE they had 30 or 40 years ago. And it’s possible… in fact, I’m...
So-called health “experts” are full of ideas on how to improve your brain (and that’s not all they’re full of). They’ll tell you to try Sudoku puzzles… or learn a new language. The only problem? Practically NOBODY is going to do these things. Most folks will take the risk of cognitive decline before they order...
Getting older is tough enough. But I’ll admit, lots of women have it especially hard. That’s because they’re faced with the going through the “change of life” – menopause. Menopause can unleash a barrage of symptoms like hot flashes, sleep problems, mood swings, bone loss and decreased sex drive. Most doctors will load you up with...
When you’re diagnosed with prostate cancer, you can practically hear the surgeons sharpening their scalpels. They just can’t WAIT to cut you open… either by hand, or with one of those fancy new robots. Meanwhile, lots of guys who get prostate cancer surgery will tell you it was the worst decision of their lives. It can...
When you’re suffering from arthritis, it can feel like you have no good options. You can just deal with the pain… or pop addictive and deadly opioid drugs… or you can go under the knife. Some choices, huh? How about another choice? Like NONE OF THE ABOVE? Because a new study has revealed a powerful way...
There are some docs who will tell you that diseases like dementia are a matter of genetics. If you have the wrong genes, you’re basically doomed. But that’s total nonsense. As many as 50% of dementia cases are due to factors that are completely within your control… things like high blood pressure, obesity, and smoking. Now,...
Following mainstream advice is like following a moving target. What’s good for you one day is labeled as bad the next. One the flip side, certain foods that have been demonized for decades are suddenly hailed as superfoods. Case in point? One “forbidden” food is now turning out to be a heart-health hero. And it...
If you’re trying to avoid diabetes, chances are you’re watching what you eat pretty closely. But what if you’ve been given bad advice? What if you’re going about diabetes prevention all wrong? According to a recent study, watching what you eat is only part of the equation… and it’s not even the most important part....
Ask most doctors how to prevent a heart attack, and they’ll give you the standard reply. Ditch all the junk food, lose 20 pounds, and work out every single day. That’s not bad advice… except NOBODY is going to do it. I’ve been practicing medicine for nearly 40 years. And I know that asking people to...