Dr. G’s 5 Ways to Stop Flu
Q: I decided to skip the flu vaccine this year because I’ve heard that it might be dangerous. The problem is, now I’m worried that I might not be as protected as I need to be. Do you have any recommendations for staying flu-free this winter?
Dr. G: Congratulations, Pat! Skipping that shot was one of the BEST preventive measures you could take for avoiding the flu this winter.
Did you know that the shot itself can CAUSE the flu? One study showed that getting a flu shot increased your risk of respiratory infections by 4.4 times.
Not to mention the fact that the shots have been linked to everything from allergies to autoimmune disease.
(And I won’t even mention how shockingly ineffective they are.)
But you’re right, the flu can be extremely dangerous, especially the older you get.
So while flu shots aren’t the answer, you should still be taking active steps to prevent the flu this winter.
The best way is to make sure your immune system is up to the task.
Here are 5 ways to keep your immune system up to par through the winter flu season.
- Strengthen your gut. This one might seem like it came from left field…until you find out that 70% of your immune system resides in your gut. Taking a quality probiotic will help restore the balance of healthy bacteria in the gut. You can also load up on good bacteria with fermented foods like sauerkraut, kefir, and yogurt.
- Vitamin D. Vitamin D is associated with the production of cathelicidin and other immune system peptides that are powerful antiviral and antibacterial agents in our cells. This won’t just help prevent the flu, but will help protect against all kinds of infections.
- Ginger lemon tea. This one contains three benefits in one. Ginger is a potent anti-inflammatory, lemon helps us resist colds, and increasing fluids (like tea, broth, and water) helps with digestion, as well as with keeping your throat and airways clear.
- If you do start feeling a cold coming on, reach for zinc. This immune-booster stops the replication of a cold’s cell—a protective action that can shorten the number of days you’re sick. Foods like pumpkin seeds, spinach, and oysters are loaded with zinc.
- Finally, stay away from processed foods, and stick with organic food instead. Non-organic food can carry the residue of toxins such as glyphosate (the ingredient in Roundup), which impair the immune system. Along those lines, consuming too much sugar can suppress your immune system for HOURS.
Want me to answer your question next? Email me at email@example.com
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Everyone knows that vitamins are good for you. What everyone might NOT know is just how BAD it is when you’re not getting enough of these critical nutrients. In fact, a deficiency in this ONE key vitamin can really take a toll on your body, causing everything from severe muscle pain to neurological disorders. Here’s...
Most humans have a basic survival instinct that makes us want to live as long as possible. But you’d never know it when you consider all of the dangerous, toxic, downright stupid things we do that make us sick, miserable, and (ultimately) dead. Some things are obvious… like smoking or eating Twinkies. Others aren’t so...
When it comes to taking statins, I advise taking the “better safe than sorry” approach. No, that doesn’t mean TAKING statins just in case they could help you… it means NOT taking statins because their benefits don’t outweigh their risks. This has been an unpopular opinion until very recently… Studies on statins show just how...
Heartburn is no fun. It’s painful and uncomfortable. And in really bad cases, it can feel like you’re having a heart attack. But it’s never going to kill you. The drugs used to treat it, on the other hand? They just might. The list of side effects linked to them should have them pulled off...
What you eat plays a major role in your overall health and wellbeing… and even in how long you could live. But too often, we choose foods based on their impact on factors like heart disease, diabetes, or weight gain. There’s nothing wrong with that… but something is missing from that list. Your brain health....
There are a whole lot of things I think the government should just stay out of. Healthcare is one of them. The health advice coming Uncle Sam is notoriously outdated, inaccurate, and tainted with the money of big corporations that have billions to gain. Case in point: A particular government regulation that could INCREASE your...
It seems like pink ribbons are plastered everywhere to remind us that women are still getting—and dying from—breast cancer. But I don’t need a pink ribbon to remind me… and you probably don’t either. I’ve personally known too many women—both family members and patients—who have been part of the 41,000 women who die of breast...
My grandfather always used to tell me that eating venison would help me run faster… and that carrots would help me see better. My grandmother said that eating apples would help “keep the doctor away.” Many of us have grown up with these sayings… but are they actually true? Today, we’re going to see what...
When it comes to surviving cancer, the earlier you discover cancer, the better the prognosis. That’s why cancer screening tests are so important. The problem is that some types of cancers stay hidden for a long time… and others present themselves with vague symptoms that often don’t seem indicative of cancer at all. Brain cancer...
Dementia is spreading like an epidemic in America. Some people will tell you that it’s caused by your faulty genetics. In reality, you have a lot of say in what diseases you do and don’t get – including dementia. Case in point: A simple vitamin deficiency can make you twice as likely to develop dementia....