Dr. G’s 5 Ways to Stop Flu
Q: I decided to skip the flu vaccine this year because I’ve heard that it might be dangerous. The problem is, now I’m worried that I might not be as protected as I need to be. Do you have any recommendations for staying flu-free this winter?
Dr. G: Congratulations, Pat! Skipping that shot was one of the BEST preventive measures you could take for avoiding the flu this winter.
Did you know that the shot itself can CAUSE the flu? One study showed that getting a flu shot increased your risk of respiratory infections by 4.4 times.
Not to mention the fact that the shots have been linked to everything from allergies to autoimmune disease.
(And I won’t even mention how shockingly ineffective they are.)
But you’re right, the flu can be extremely dangerous, especially the older you get.
So while flu shots aren’t the answer, you should still be taking active steps to prevent the flu this winter.
The best way is to make sure your immune system is up to the task.
Here are 5 ways to keep your immune system up to par through the winter flu season.
- Strengthen your gut. This one might seem like it came from left field…until you find out that 70% of your immune system resides in your gut. Taking a quality probiotic will help restore the balance of healthy bacteria in the gut. You can also load up on good bacteria with fermented foods like sauerkraut, kefir, and yogurt.
- Vitamin D. Vitamin D is associated with the production of cathelicidin and other immune system peptides that are powerful antiviral and antibacterial agents in our cells. This won’t just help prevent the flu, but will help protect against all kinds of infections.
- Ginger lemon tea. This one contains three benefits in one. Ginger is a potent anti-inflammatory, lemon helps us resist colds, and increasing fluids (like tea, broth, and water) helps with digestion, as well as with keeping your throat and airways clear.
- If you do start feeling a cold coming on, reach for zinc. This immune-booster stops the replication of a cold’s cell—a protective action that can shorten the number of days you’re sick. Foods like pumpkin seeds, spinach, and oysters are loaded with zinc.
- Finally, stay away from processed foods, and stick with organic food instead. Non-organic food can carry the residue of toxins such as glyphosate (the ingredient in Roundup), which impair the immune system. Along those lines, consuming too much sugar can suppress your immune system for HOURS.
Want me to answer your question next? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Usually when doctors talk to you about controlling or preventing diabetes, it has something to do with diet. Sure, there are plenty of dietary changes that improve your blood sugar levels. But you shouldn’t have to give up a single one of your favorite foods to get significant improvements in your fasting insulin levels. Now...
Pain is a catch 22. When you’re in pain, you don’t want to move. But when you stop moving, you put yourself on a fast-track to disability. And that means you can’t do much moving even if you wanted to. But even if you’re dealing with arthritis pain, spending just 10 minutes a day following...
It’s a side effect of diabetes that most people don’t give much thought to: It can absolutely destroy your brain. The blood vessel damage caused by high blood sugar levels affects the brain’s white matter, the part of the brain in which nerves communicate. When these nerves become damaged, it can lead to cognitive impairment...
By now you probably know that I have one key criterion I use to determine if a drug or treatment is effective: Does it help you live longer? Some of the most popular mainstream methods get tossed out the window based on this one simple question (taking a statin a day to prevent heart disease...
You never have to wonder whose interests the pharmaceutical companies have in mind. It’s never yours. Part of their tactic for lining their pockets is to discredit natural cures, but this time they’re taking a different approach. In a recent study, researchers clearly acknowledge a natural treatment for seizures – but then tell you why...
I’m 65 years old, and I refuse to accept that “senior moments” are just a part of life. My brain is just as sharp as it was 30 years ago, and I have a lifetime of good habits, good diet, good environment, and lots of activity to thank. But don’t worry. Even if your lifestyle...
Scientists can spend all the time they want in a lab (under artificial light) trying to concoct a cure for cancer. But nothing they come up with could possibly compare what nature has already provided for thousands of years. The trick is finding those treasures… and figuring out the best way to use them. Case...
Diabetes sure is a drag. If you follow the perfect diet, you might be able to keep your blood sugar in check. But who wants to do that? Fortunately, there are three natural supplements that have been proven to help regulate blood sugar… And you won’t have to make a single change to your diet. ...
You’ve probably heard the saying, the bigger the better. While that’s NOT the case with something like your waistline, the size of your heart, or the amount of debt you’re in…it does ring true for plenty of other factors. Like your brain. It’s when your brain starts to shrink that you start having issues with...
All drugs come with a long list of side effects and a fair share of warnings. Don’t take this drug with that one. Don’t eat grapefruit while taking Lipitor. Don’t drink alcohol while taking Xanax. But if you’ve been taking the blood thinning drug warfarin, there’s one warning you should COMPLETELY IGNORE. Warfarin (brand name...