Dr. G’s Secrets to PERFECT Sleep
Q: Since I hit menopause, I have such a hard time falling or staying asleep. Now I’m miserable and cranky all the time. Is there anything I can do to finally get a good night’s sleep?
— Agnes H.
Sleep problems have practically become an epidemic. I’m treating them at my practice ALL the time.
When my patients come to me to asking for advice about how to get a better night’s sleep, I start by telling them exactly what I do (and I rarely have trouble sleeping).
In addition, there are a handful of supplements that have been shown to help you get some shut-eye as well. Here are five steps you can start taking today that will have you well in your way to perfect sleep.
- Get plenty of morning sunlight. This might seem odd, but it’s the foundation for setting your body’s internal clock—your circadian rhythm. This 24-hour clock governs the release of the hormones you need to be alert during the day—and to get sleepy at night.
- Avoid exposure to blue light at night. Blue light is emitted from things in your house like light bulbs, TV screens, laptops, and even your cell phone. When your eyes take in all that blue light at night, your brain thinks it’s noon. And when that happens, you’re actively SHUTTING DOWN your body’s sleep hormone: melatonin.
- In addition to making sure you’re not sabotaging your body’s melatonin production, you can also take supplemental melatonin. It’s not the exact hormone your body produces, but it is chemically identical to it. Multiple studies have shown that supplementing with melatonin increases both the quality and quantity of sleep in both adults and children. Time-released formulas tend to work best.
- Magnesium can also help alleviate sleep problems for two reasons. First, it helps relax your muscles. Second, it supports a chemical in your brain that helps calm you down. In other words, magnesium helps ease the tension and anxiety (an overactive brain) that can make sleep so elusive. One study showed that supplementing with magnesium helped people fall asleep faster, sleep more soundly, and stay asleep longer.
- Valerian is less well known, but people have been using it for thousands of years to treat insomnia and anxiety. Some research even indicates that it works better than sleeping pills.
Want me to answer your question next? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
The Hidden Cause of PLUMMETING Energy Levels
The older you get, the more likely you are to experience depression—and the lack of energy that goes along with it. Many factors can increase this risk. Things like your gut health, hormone levels, or your social situation, to name a few. But there’s another underlying factor that no one – for some reason –...
11-Minute Solution PREVENTS 1 in 10 Early Deaths
You already know that exercise reduces your risk of cardiovascular disease and early death. According to the current guidelines, you’ll need 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week to get those benefits. That breaks down to 21.4 minutes of daily exercise. I don’t know many people who get that much exercise every day. But the...
Don't Touch Another Strawberry Until You Read THIS!
If you’ve ever had a freshly picked, vine-ripened strawberry, you KNOW there’s nothing quite so juicy with a delicious burst of flavor. And you ALSO know that the imposter strawberries sold in grocery stores are bland and tasteless in comparison. They barely deserve to be called strawberries. But a recent study showed that these strawberries...
"Diaphragm Dumbbell" Dials Down Blood Pressure
They call high blood pressure “the silent killer” for a reason. It can quietly do damage for YEARS before your first symptoms appear. And once they do, the clock is ticking to get your numbers under control. Because if you don’t, your risk of a heart attack or stroke goes through the roof. You see,...
The Nutrient Secret to Better Sleep
Don’t make the mistake of thinking poor sleep… or not getting ENOUGH of it … is no big deal. Bad quality sleep doesn’t just leave you feeling groggy and gross the next day. Over time, it can play a big part in just about any MAJOR health issue you can think of. That includes heart...
Are You Getting Enough Vitamin H?
Some vitamins are household names by now. If I mention nutrients like vitamin D, C, or B12, not only have you likely heard of them, but you probably also know a little about why they’re good for you. You might already have them in your “medicine” cabinet. However, I’m guessing you’ve never heard of vitamin...
“Bearded Tooth” Fungus Regrows Brain Cells?!
There’s a rare mushroom that goes by MANY names… But we should add the nickname “Smart Mushroom” to the list because of its ability to support cognitive health and brain function. Previous studies have shown this fungus can help improve cognitive function, protect against memory loss, and reduce symptoms of depression. In a recent study,...
Tackle BOTH Sleep and Mood Problems
I love using unconventional methods to treat common problems. And by unconventional, I mean anything other than what the mainstream would tell you to do. Take mood and sleep problems, for example. Too many people get a prescription and are sent on their merry way. I call that “getting written off.” Instead, I’ve found a...
Top 5 Joint Pain Supplements
If you’re living with joint pain, you don’t want Band-Aids… you want solutions. Typically, it occurs as a result of two underlying problems: Inflammation Cartilage breakdown If you address those two issues, you can get to the ROOT of joint pain. But traditional heavy-duty painkillers often come with unwanted side effects… Some inexpensive supplements can...
HIDDEN Heart Attack Trigger (Beware)
At first glance, my home state of Arizona and Hawaii have little in common. But both share an important distinction. Neither participates in the risky practice of daylight saving time (DST). It’s just one of the many reasons I love living here. The rest of the country shifted their clocks forward by an hour nearly...