Eat Your Pain Away! The Anti-Arthritis Diet
If you’re one of the 30 million Americans suffering from osteoarthritis, you know just how much it impacts your quality of life.
The pain, swelling, and stiffness can make even the most enjoyable activities absolutely miserable.
But you don’t have to load up on painkillers, get steroid injections, or go under the knife to experience relief.
Following this simple anti-osteoarthritis diet can give your body the tools it needs to reverse your arthritis once and for all.
Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis that occurs when cartilage in your joints break down. Without this cushion, the bones in the joint rub against one another, leading to the characteristic pain and stiffness associated with the condition.
Wear and tear play a major role in the development of osteoarthritis. But that’s not the only source of the pain.
Once the damage takes place, it sets in motion a chain of events that contributes to chronic, low-grade inflammation.
That revelation opens an entirely new approach to treating and preventing this degenerative condition – namely, reducing inflammation in the body.
And one of the best ways to do that is by following a proven anti-inflammatory diet. The following list includes 5 beneficial anti-inflammatory foods – and 2 to avoid at all costs.
- Oily fish. Fish such as salmon, sardines, mackerel, and tuna contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids, a type of healthy fat that is well known for its potent anti-inflammatory properties.
- Extra virgin olive oil. This healthy oil has also been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. In fact, it contains a specific compound called oleocanthal that has been shown to have similar properties as non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs).
- Dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, and chard contain lots of vitamin D. Because this important vitamin helps maintain strong bones, helps regulate the immune system, and reduces inflammation, it is essential for people with osteoarthritis. One study even showed that maintaining higher levels led to less cartilage loss in the knee.
- Green tea contains polyphenols and antioxidants – two categories of nutrients proven not just to reduce inflammation but also to slow cartilage loss.
- Garlic contains a compound called diallyl disulfide that works to shut down destructive enzymes that damage cartilage.
Of course, you can load up on anti-inflammatory foods, but if you’re continuing to eat other foods that CAUSE inflammation, you’re just shooting yourself in the foot.
To keep the best anti-inflammatory balance, here are two types of foods to avoid:
- Sugar. This is easier said than done, but there are few foods that are more inflammatory than sugar. Consuming too much processed sugar is guaranteed to make any inflammatory conditions worse – including osteoarthritis.
- Refined carbohydrates. Foods like white bread, pasta, white rice, and potato chips cause your body to produce dangerous molecules called advanced glycation endproduts (AGEs) that fuel inflammation throughout the body.
Follow this eating plan, and see how you feel in a couple of weeks. I know you’ll notice a difference.
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Judging from what you hear from some people, being healthy and avoiding disease is NO FUN AT ALL. It involves never eating another donut… running like a rat on a treadmill… and drinking frothy green juice potent enough to make you gag. That’s NOT my version of healthy—and it doesn’t have to be yours either....
You’ve probably realized by now that I’m a big fan of coffee. I drink it for the taste—but the health benefits are just as good. But there’s another ancient health elixir that rivals coffee when it comes to reversing disease. In fact, folks who drink it have a reduced risk of cancer, heart attack, and...
Getting older is one thing. Feeling and looking older is something entirely different. I’m 66 years old, but I’ve never let that stop me from doing the same things I loved doing at 56, or 46. But as many as 25 percent of adults over 65 are at risk of losing their ability to do...
I often focus on what TO do in order to get healthy or avoid disease. Today I’m going to give you a tip for what NOT to do… especially if you’re suffering from (or want to avoid) rheumatoid arthritis. A recent study shows that ONE THING could increase your risk of rheumatoid arthritis by 164%....
Some famous duos are good… Simon and Garfunkel, Han Solo and Chewbacca, and peanut butter and chocolate come to mind. But others aren’t so good. Now, researchers have found that if you have one particular duo of diseases… you could be DEAD within the year. Here’s what you need to know. Heart failure and diabetes...
When it comes to nutrients, there are the superstars and the unsung heroes. Superstars are nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin D, and omega-3s. Unsung heroes include up-and-comers like magnesium, chromium, and pycnogenol. Today I want to highlight an unsung hero that should receive superstar status. You’ve probably never heard of this nutrient—but it’s absolutely essential...
Most people want to live a long life. But what good is living longer if you’re riddled with disease… can barely get around…or in constant pain? Not much. That’s why I always focus on ways to live longer AND healthier. And now, a new study has come out showing one simple way to do BOTH....
It’s no secret that I’m opposed to the flu shot. But every year, starting in the next month or so, you’ll be bombarded with propaganda pushing these dangerous shots. That’s why every year, I like to remind you of why you should keep your sleeves rolled down and JUST SAY NO. Here are 6 of...
It’s easy to get in a rut when it comes to food. If you think about it, we tend to eat the same foods over and over again. If you’re choosing healthy foods, there’s nothing wrong with that… But you might be missing out on some of nature’s true superstars when it comes to both...
Well, folks, I have more bad news to report on one of the go-to treatments for prostate cancer. A few weeks ago, I told you about how it can increase your risk of dementia by 20% and the risk of Alzheimer’s by 14%. And it only gets worse from there… Because a new study shows...