[Quiz] Are You Missing This Key Mineral?
You won’t hear doctors or nutritionists talk about it much, but it’s hard to overstate the importance of the mineral iodine.
Iodine is absolutely essential for heathy thyroid function. If you’re not getting enough, your thyroid can’t produce enough hormones, and can that wreak all kinds of havoc on your health.
That’s because iodine—and healthy thyroid function—are necessary for everything from brain development and growth, to healing and energy metabolism.
And there’s a good change you’re not getting enough.
To find out if you’re in this category—and what to do about it if you are—here are 9 key signs that you are deficient in this important mineral.
- Weight gain. Lack of iodine leads to hypothyroidism, which slows down your metabolism. A slower metabolism means you’re more likely to store fat than burn it.
- Weakness. This is another issue that occurs due to a sluggish metabolism. Burning fewer calories for energy means your muscles don’t work as efficiently.
- Tiredness. Once again, this is another symptom of a slow metabolism, brought on by a sluggish thyroid…caused by not getting enough iodine.
- Feeling cold. A slower metabolism means you’re producing less energy, and energy is necessary to warm up your body.
- Hair loss. Thyroid hormones are responsible for renewing your hair follicles. Hair falls out all the time, but when your thyroid is healthy, it replaces the lost hair follicles. If those follicles aren’t replaced as quickly as they fall out, the result is thinning hair.
- Dry skin. Another job of the thyroid hormones is to help with cell renewal. If the thyroid hormones aren’t doing their job, dead skin cells can build up, leading to flaky skin.
- Slow heart rate. Once again, this is due to a sluggish metabolism.
- Memory problems. Thyroid hormones are intimately tied to brain development and function, so it makes sense that not getting enough iodine can have negative effects on memory. One study even showed that people who had low thyroid hormones (caused by iodine deficiency) had a smaller hippocampus—that’s the part of the brain that affects memory.
- Swollen neck. This is one of the most obvious physical signs of iodine deficiency. That’s because when the thyroid gland isn’t getting enough iodine, it tries to absorb more from your blood. The result is a swollen thyroid—and a swollen neck.
Keep in mind that any of these symptoms could be completely unrelated to iodine deficiency. But if you read this list and felt like I was talking about you, then chances are pretty good you’ve got an iodine deficiency.
To find out for sure, go to your doctor and ask for a urine test.
In the meantime, work on incorporating more iodine-containing foods into your diet. A few of the best include cod, tuna, eggs, shrimp, yogurt, and seaweed.
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Maybe you’re trying to control your weight or blood sugar. So what does your doctor tell you to do? Count calories… eat healthier… and exercise more. But, believe it or not, ONE bad habit could be ruining all of your hard work. And it could be putting you on the fast track to obesity, diabetes,...
Let me ask you a question. How many prescription medications are you taking right now? If you’re like lots of American seniors, you’re probably taking plenty. Maybe one drug for your heart… one for your diabetes… and maybe even an antidepressant or anti-anxiety med. But what if you could solve ALL of these problems with...
They say there are two guarantees in life: death and taxes. And I’d add another one to the list: If you get diagnosed with cancer, I guarantee your doctor will tell you to get chemotherapy. Better safe than sorry, right? Wrong. A new study on chemotherapy and breast cancer is about to turn the entire cancer treatment...
Tired of giving up everything you love to chase down perfect blood sugar levels? I don’t blame you. Who wants some cranky doctor telling them what they can and can’t eat? Not me. So instead of telling you what you CAN’T eat, I’m going to tell you what you CAN. Because ADDING one simple food...
It’s one of the scariest things about getting older. I’m not talking about getting cancer…or diabetes…or even dying. It’s the fear of losing your mind. With Alzheimer’s at an all-time high (and climbing), you have every right to be worried. But there’s a common nighttime problem that may be sending your risk of brain shrinkage…...
I don’t know about you… but I have no plans to “grow old gracefully.” I’m going to fight Father Time tooth-and-nail. But there’s nothing that makes you feel older than looking in the mirror and seeing new wrinkles. We’ve always been told there’s nothing we can do about it. NONSENSE! My friends at Gold Leaf...
Why does dieting have to be so hard? You practically stave yourself… you work out like a Green Beret… and the scale won’t budge. But what if your weight issues aren’t your fault at all? New research proves that a simple diet deficiency may be FORCING our bodies to pack on pounds. And correcting it...
Being diagnosed with cancer is terrifying enough. But here’s where things get even worse… When your doctor tells you that your type of cancer is particularly hard to treat. But what if there was an all-natural way to make these hard-to-treat cancers easy to kill? Believe it or not, the solution exists… and it’s probably sitting...
There aren’t many guarantees in medicine – but this is as close to a guarantee as I can give. If you keep your arteries clear, there’s a very good chance you’ll NEVER have a heart attack. But here’s the problem… Mainstream medicine wants you to protect your arteries by taking cholesterol-lowering statin drugs. And that’s...
Q: My daughter has anxiety issues. We have been investigating CBD oil for a while, but are confused about one thing: Is there one CBD oil for anxiety, another variety for pain, etc. Or does it come "one size fits all?” -Larry P. Dr. G: I don’t blame you for being confused. Our government spent years driving...