[Quiz] Are You Missing This Key Mineral?
You won’t hear doctors or nutritionists talk about it much, but it’s hard to overstate the importance of the mineral iodine.
Iodine is absolutely essential for heathy thyroid function. If you’re not getting enough, your thyroid can’t produce enough hormones, and can that wreak all kinds of havoc on your health.
That’s because iodine—and healthy thyroid function—are necessary for everything from brain development and growth, to healing and energy metabolism.
And there’s a good change you’re not getting enough.
To find out if you’re in this category—and what to do about it if you are—here are 9 key signs that you are deficient in this important mineral.
- Weight gain. Lack of iodine leads to hypothyroidism, which slows down your metabolism. A slower metabolism means you’re more likely to store fat than burn it.
- Weakness. This is another issue that occurs due to a sluggish metabolism. Burning fewer calories for energy means your muscles don’t work as efficiently.
- Tiredness. Once again, this is another symptom of a slow metabolism, brought on by a sluggish thyroid…caused by not getting enough iodine.
- Feeling cold. A slower metabolism means you’re producing less energy, and energy is necessary to warm up your body.
- Hair loss. Thyroid hormones are responsible for renewing your hair follicles. Hair falls out all the time, but when your thyroid is healthy, it replaces the lost hair follicles. If those follicles aren’t replaced as quickly as they fall out, the result is thinning hair.
- Dry skin. Another job of the thyroid hormones is to help with cell renewal. If the thyroid hormones aren’t doing their job, dead skin cells can build up, leading to flaky skin.
- Slow heart rate. Once again, this is due to a sluggish metabolism.
- Memory problems. Thyroid hormones are intimately tied to brain development and function, so it makes sense that not getting enough iodine can have negative effects on memory. One study even showed that people who had low thyroid hormones (caused by iodine deficiency) had a smaller hippocampus—that’s the part of the brain that affects memory.
- Swollen neck. This is one of the most obvious physical signs of iodine deficiency. That’s because when the thyroid gland isn’t getting enough iodine, it tries to absorb more from your blood. The result is a swollen thyroid—and a swollen neck.
Keep in mind that any of these symptoms could be completely unrelated to iodine deficiency. But if you read this list and felt like I was talking about you, then chances are pretty good you’ve got an iodine deficiency.
To find out for sure, go to your doctor and ask for a urine test.
In the meantime, work on incorporating more iodine-containing foods into your diet. A few of the best include cod, tuna, eggs, shrimp, yogurt, and seaweed.
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
People talk about sexual dysfunction like it’s something that primarily affects men. Newsflash! As you get older, women are just as likely to experience problems as their partners. I’ve always said that your love life shouldn’t come with an expiration date–but that means that BOTH partners need to be up for the task. A few...
I know how it is. When you’re in pain, you just want some relief. That’s why so many people put up with the side effects of pain medication. They’re willing to risk the side effects… just to make the pain stop a little. But what if you didn’t have to make that choice. What if...
Call me crazy, but I don’t believe your sex life should come with an expiration date. But so many men these days have trouble performing that doctors treat it like it’s normal. It’s not. And that means you don’t have to just live with it—or resign yourself to taking a prescription pill that may (or...
I used to tell my sons to act their age. But I have to tell you… I have a hard time following my own advice. I don’t want to act my age. Whether I’m biking, mountain climbing, or hiking, I want to keep up with guys HALF my age. Let me tell you how I...
If you want learn the secrets to living longer and healthier, here’s what you should do. Study the people who tend to live the longest and healthiest. And one of the best examples lives right here in the United States: the Amish. Back in the early 1900s, the Amish were routinely living into their 70s,...
If you’re struggling to control your blood pressure, let me tell you something you’ve probably learned the hard way. Mainstream medicine doesn’t have a CLUE how to treat the problem! They tell you to cut out the salt… to stop eating your favorite foods… or to spend a FORTUNE on some pricey gym membership. And...
I’ve been reading your responses to my heart-health survey… and I have to say, I’m IMPRESSED. Lots of people don’t think about their heart health until a problem develops. But readers like you are staying on top of it. And today I’m going to give you another powerful solution you’ll NEVER hear about in a...
When your doctor tells you to start eating healthier, it can send chills up your spine. You start seeing images of steamed kale, endless salads, beet juice, and other less-than-exciting options. Sure, you can eat those things if you like them. But whoever said that eating healthy means depriving yourself of tasty treats? Not me!...
If you suffer from aching knees… painful hips… or throbbing shoulders, wrists and fingers… you know how hard it is to find relief. And each year, the pain gets a little worse, doesn’t it? How would you like to end that cycle for good? Because I’ve developed a powerful new supplement that helps REBUILD smooth,...
The drug companies… and even our government… keep spending BILLIONS looking for new ways to treat cancer. But how’s this for an idea — why don’t we stop people from getting cancer in the first place? Believe it or not, some of the foods sitting in your kitchen right now can send your risk of...