[Quiz] Are You Missing This Key Mineral?
You won’t hear doctors or nutritionists talk about it much, but it’s hard to overstate the importance of the mineral iodine.
Iodine is absolutely essential for heathy thyroid function. If you’re not getting enough, your thyroid can’t produce enough hormones, and can that wreak all kinds of havoc on your health.
That’s because iodine—and healthy thyroid function—are necessary for everything from brain development and growth, to healing and energy metabolism.
And there’s a good change you’re not getting enough.
To find out if you’re in this category—and what to do about it if you are—here are 9 key signs that you are deficient in this important mineral.
- Weight gain. Lack of iodine leads to hypothyroidism, which slows down your metabolism. A slower metabolism means you’re more likely to store fat than burn it.
- Weakness. This is another issue that occurs due to a sluggish metabolism. Burning fewer calories for energy means your muscles don’t work as efficiently.
- Tiredness. Once again, this is another symptom of a slow metabolism, brought on by a sluggish thyroid…caused by not getting enough iodine.
- Feeling cold. A slower metabolism means you’re producing less energy, and energy is necessary to warm up your body.
- Hair loss. Thyroid hormones are responsible for renewing your hair follicles. Hair falls out all the time, but when your thyroid is healthy, it replaces the lost hair follicles. If those follicles aren’t replaced as quickly as they fall out, the result is thinning hair.
- Dry skin. Another job of the thyroid hormones is to help with cell renewal. If the thyroid hormones aren’t doing their job, dead skin cells can build up, leading to flaky skin.
- Slow heart rate. Once again, this is due to a sluggish metabolism.
- Memory problems. Thyroid hormones are intimately tied to brain development and function, so it makes sense that not getting enough iodine can have negative effects on memory. One study even showed that people who had low thyroid hormones (caused by iodine deficiency) had a smaller hippocampus—that’s the part of the brain that affects memory.
- Swollen neck. This is one of the most obvious physical signs of iodine deficiency. That’s because when the thyroid gland isn’t getting enough iodine, it tries to absorb more from your blood. The result is a swollen thyroid—and a swollen neck.
Keep in mind that any of these symptoms could be completely unrelated to iodine deficiency. But if you read this list and felt like I was talking about you, then chances are pretty good you’ve got an iodine deficiency.
To find out for sure, go to your doctor and ask for a urine test.
In the meantime, work on incorporating more iodine-containing foods into your diet. A few of the best include cod, tuna, eggs, shrimp, yogurt, and seaweed.
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
You try to eat right. You try to get in plenty of movement every day. You don’t smoke. But despite your best efforts, 75 percent of women STILL face an EXTREMELY HIGH risk of having a cardiovascular event like a heart attack or stroke. Find out if you’re in the 75%… And if you are,...
I don’t need to tell you that fruit and vegetables are good for you. Our mothers and grandmothers have been grilling that fact into our heads since we were kids at the dinner table (hiding broccoli in our napkins). They enticed us with tales of how eating carrots could help us see like a hawk,...
As you get older, there’s probably one thing you worry about the most: your brain. Because if it gets damaged… you can lose your memories… and your independence. The mainstream is CLUELESS when it comes to protecting this organ. But you don’t have to be. Because there’s a wonder drink that shields your brain. And...
It’s no secret that we already have enough factors stacked against our heart health. Obesity, blood pressure, cholesterol, stress, lack of sleep, lack of sunlight… it’s just too much for our hearts to handle. Mainstream medicine is SUPPOSED to be helping. But we all know that they just push Big Pharma’s drugs… and don’t care...
There are no shortcuts when it comes to healthy eating. Those “no salt” potato chips were still fried in hydrogenated oils. That healthy looking flavored yogurt still has over 16 grams of sugar. But these aren’t the only villains. Because there’s a so-called “healthy” drink that millions of seniors drink everyday… And it could land...
If you’re like most seniors, you’ve probably lost count of the number of times you’ve walked into a room… and totally forgot why you went in there in the first place. Or how many times you’ve had to reset passwords on your computer. Or had to drive BACK to the grocery store for that one...
Some cancers are difficult to detect… which leads to catching them later… which leads to a poor chance of you surviving. Colon cancer isn’t one of them. By getting routine colon screenings, you can find out if you’re at risk for the disease before it has a chance to develop into full-blown cancer. Despite this...
Chemotherapy is the gold standard for mainstream cancer treatment… but it shouldn’t be. It DOESN’T WORK… and it’s extremely TOXIC. And that’s because cancer drugs become resistant to it. You can pump the drug into the cancer cells… and they just pump it right back out. It’s like the sump pump in your basement. But...
Rheumatoid arthritis is a pain. Not only does it cause progressive, debilitating pain in one or more of your joints… it’s difficult to treat. The joint damage is IRREVERSIBLE… there is NO cure… and most mainstream treatments DON’T WORK. But that’s all about to change. Researchers have found a revolutionary new treatment that can SAFELY...
Eat right and exercise… AND take these pills. That’s about all the advice you’ll get from your mainstream doc when it comes to improving your heart health. I like to be a bit more exact with my patients (and try to avoid Big Pharma’s drugs at all costs). That’s why I give SPECIFIC suggestions about...