[Quiz] Are You Missing This Key Mineral?
You won’t hear doctors or nutritionists talk about it much, but it’s hard to overstate the importance of the mineral iodine.
Iodine is absolutely essential for heathy thyroid function. If you’re not getting enough, your thyroid can’t produce enough hormones, and can that wreak all kinds of havoc on your health.
That’s because iodine—and healthy thyroid function—are necessary for everything from brain development and growth, to healing and energy metabolism.
And there’s a good change you’re not getting enough.
To find out if you’re in this category—and what to do about it if you are—here are 9 key signs that you are deficient in this important mineral.
- Weight gain. Lack of iodine leads to hypothyroidism, which slows down your metabolism. A slower metabolism means you’re more likely to store fat than burn it.
- Weakness. This is another issue that occurs due to a sluggish metabolism. Burning fewer calories for energy means your muscles don’t work as efficiently.
- Tiredness. Once again, this is another symptom of a slow metabolism, brought on by a sluggish thyroid…caused by not getting enough iodine.
- Feeling cold. A slower metabolism means you’re producing less energy, and energy is necessary to warm up your body.
- Hair loss. Thyroid hormones are responsible for renewing your hair follicles. Hair falls out all the time, but when your thyroid is healthy, it replaces the lost hair follicles. If those follicles aren’t replaced as quickly as they fall out, the result is thinning hair.
- Dry skin. Another job of the thyroid hormones is to help with cell renewal. If the thyroid hormones aren’t doing their job, dead skin cells can build up, leading to flaky skin.
- Slow heart rate. Once again, this is due to a sluggish metabolism.
- Memory problems. Thyroid hormones are intimately tied to brain development and function, so it makes sense that not getting enough iodine can have negative effects on memory. One study even showed that people who had low thyroid hormones (caused by iodine deficiency) had a smaller hippocampus—that’s the part of the brain that affects memory.
- Swollen neck. This is one of the most obvious physical signs of iodine deficiency. That’s because when the thyroid gland isn’t getting enough iodine, it tries to absorb more from your blood. The result is a swollen thyroid—and a swollen neck.
Keep in mind that any of these symptoms could be completely unrelated to iodine deficiency. But if you read this list and felt like I was talking about you, then chances are pretty good you’ve got an iodine deficiency.
To find out for sure, go to your doctor and ask for a urine test.
In the meantime, work on incorporating more iodine-containing foods into your diet. A few of the best include cod, tuna, eggs, shrimp, yogurt, and seaweed.
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Pain. For many people, it’s a four-letter word. And if you’re waiting for Big Pharma to concoct a safe, effective treatment, don’t hold your breath. Fortunately, you don’t need Big Pharma to KNOCK OUT stubborn pain. Because the best treatment for pain isn’t something you’ll find in your medicine cabinet… and it’s not a pill...
Heart disease, colon cancer, and diabetes are three of the killers of American seniors. And instead of focusing on one way to prevent heart disease, another way to prevent cancer, and so on, the mainstream should be focused on ONE simple cure for all three… But there’s no money to be made from such a...
When it comes to health and medicine, we have it very backward here in America. Health organizations promote things like diet soda while demonizing meat and eggs. It’s like we’re living in a world of opposites. Case in point: Scientists have identified a summer weed that’s jam-packed with vital nutrients and can lower your blood...
There are all kinds of body parts that start shrinking with age—and unless you’re talking about your waistline, none of them are good. But the worst of all has to be your brain. You can’t see it happening (like you can with, say, your muscles), but you can’t miss the effects. It can start as...
Going to the doctors these days is so predictable. You walk in thinking you feel fine, and walk out with a long list of prescriptions you’re supposed to take for the rest of your life. That’s not medicine. That’s drug pedaling. My goal as a doctor is to keep you OFF of prescription drugs, and...
Cancer. That six-letter word is a life-changer for anyone who hears it. Cancer therapies have come a long way, but they still leave a lot to be desired… as evidenced by the fact that cancer remains the nation’s number two killer. That’s why I’m always encouraging you to take proactive steps to make sure you...
I don’t know why modern medicine is always trying to reinvent the wheel. Grandmothers and medicine men have been treating, preventing, and curing common ailments with nature’s medicines for as long as time. Most of the drugs Big Pharma cooks up in their labs don’t come anywhere close to what nature provides in your back...
If you’re diabetic or pre-diabetic, you know there are certain foods you CAN’T have. We typically talk about the cakes and pastries, but most doctors will also have you swearing off healthier foods like fruit because of their sugar content. But as usual, that advice is short-sited. Because it fails to account for the protective...
How long has it been since you’ve indulged in cheese pizza, fried chicken, or even a glass of fresh-squeezed OJ without paying the price? If you’re on the millions suffering from heartburn, the answer is probably “too long.” If this is hitting a little too close to home, I have exciting news for you today. ...
You’ve heard the saying, “Have your cake and eat it, too.” If you’re diabetic or prediabetic, that’s all that is… a saying. Because eating cake, pizza, and cookies, and everything else that makes you happy – is a big no-no. Well if you’re trying to stave off diabetes, I’ve got great news for you today. ...