[Quiz] Are You Missing This Key Mineral?
You won’t hear doctors or nutritionists talk about it much, but it’s hard to overstate the importance of the mineral iodine.
Iodine is absolutely essential for heathy thyroid function. If you’re not getting enough, your thyroid can’t produce enough hormones, and can that wreak all kinds of havoc on your health.
That’s because iodine—and healthy thyroid function—are necessary for everything from brain development and growth, to healing and energy metabolism.
And there’s a good change you’re not getting enough.
To find out if you’re in this category—and what to do about it if you are—here are 9 key signs that you are deficient in this important mineral.
- Weight gain. Lack of iodine leads to hypothyroidism, which slows down your metabolism. A slower metabolism means you’re more likely to store fat than burn it.
- Weakness. This is another issue that occurs due to a sluggish metabolism. Burning fewer calories for energy means your muscles don’t work as efficiently.
- Tiredness. Once again, this is another symptom of a slow metabolism, brought on by a sluggish thyroid…caused by not getting enough iodine.
- Feeling cold. A slower metabolism means you’re producing less energy, and energy is necessary to warm up your body.
- Hair loss. Thyroid hormones are responsible for renewing your hair follicles. Hair falls out all the time, but when your thyroid is healthy, it replaces the lost hair follicles. If those follicles aren’t replaced as quickly as they fall out, the result is thinning hair.
- Dry skin. Another job of the thyroid hormones is to help with cell renewal. If the thyroid hormones aren’t doing their job, dead skin cells can build up, leading to flaky skin.
- Slow heart rate. Once again, this is due to a sluggish metabolism.
- Memory problems. Thyroid hormones are intimately tied to brain development and function, so it makes sense that not getting enough iodine can have negative effects on memory. One study even showed that people who had low thyroid hormones (caused by iodine deficiency) had a smaller hippocampus—that’s the part of the brain that affects memory.
- Swollen neck. This is one of the most obvious physical signs of iodine deficiency. That’s because when the thyroid gland isn’t getting enough iodine, it tries to absorb more from your blood. The result is a swollen thyroid—and a swollen neck.
Keep in mind that any of these symptoms could be completely unrelated to iodine deficiency. But if you read this list and felt like I was talking about you, then chances are pretty good you’ve got an iodine deficiency.
To find out for sure, go to your doctor and ask for a urine test.
In the meantime, work on incorporating more iodine-containing foods into your diet. A few of the best include cod, tuna, eggs, shrimp, yogurt, and seaweed.
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
If you have Multiple Sclerosis, you already know how the pain… vision problems… and mobility can really impact your quality of life. I’ve talked to you before about the miracle nutrient that reduces your risk of developing multiple sclerosis. And in people who already have it, it can reduce the symptoms. Now, a recent study...
When doctors try to figure out the underlying cause of depression, they usually look for what’s going wrong in your brain. But they’re looking in the wrong place. According to the latest research, there’s another part of the body that plays a major role in depression – and it has nothing to do with what’s...
It’s no secret that what you eat can have a HUGE impact on your heart. And the same is true when it comes to food’s impact on your brain? Eating processed foods – like packaged meals, desserts, and artificial sweeteners – can give you brain fog… and even lead to depression and other mental health...
When your car gets a tune-up, it runs better – and lasts a whole lot longer. The same is true for your body. If you don’t get regular “oil changes” for your body, it will start to get sluggish – and that can show up in all kinds of ways. Stiff joints, wrinkled skin, lack...
The idea of finding the elusive fountain of youth is probably as old as time itself. I don’t believe such a thing exists, but I do believe that there are ways to keep yourself looking and feeling vibrant and youthful. Science has proven that there are ways to help you live longer. Now, according to...
If you’re prediabetic, you’re skating on thin ice. Even though you haven’t crossed that line into full-blown diabetes, you’re not far from it. Prediabetics already have trouble with insulin, which causes blood sugar levels to be higher than they should be. But instead of panicking about it, think of it as your body’s wake up...
If you’re not thinking about ways to prevent Alzheimer’s disease, you should be. Deaths from Alzheimer’s disease are on the rise. And it’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better. But while there is still no cure for this disease, there are steps you can take to make sure you never get...
It happens all the time in restaurants. Folks eat their carb-heavy, processed meal and leave all the garnish for the garbage. But what if I told you that the stuff everyone tosses out is likely one of the most power diabetes fighters Mother Nature has to offer? Well, it’s true. Because researchers have found that...
“I’m not in the mood.” Women have a reputation for saying those five words. But whether men admit it or not… we’ve all gone through times when we just don’t feel like it either. If that’s you, I’ve got great news for you today. Because there’s a proven way to get you – and your...
We all grew up with our grandmothers telling us that carrots are good for our eyes. I’m not about to argue with Grandma. But while her sage wisdom is still true, researchers have recently uncovered a food that’s even better. In fact, it can lower your risk of the leading cause of blindness by a...