[Quiz] Are You Missing This Key Mineral?
You won’t hear doctors or nutritionists talk about it much, but it’s hard to overstate the importance of the mineral iodine.
Iodine is absolutely essential for heathy thyroid function. If you’re not getting enough, your thyroid can’t produce enough hormones, and can that wreak all kinds of havoc on your health.
That’s because iodine—and healthy thyroid function—are necessary for everything from brain development and growth, to healing and energy metabolism.
And there’s a good change you’re not getting enough.
To find out if you’re in this category—and what to do about it if you are—here are 9 key signs that you are deficient in this important mineral.
- Weight gain. Lack of iodine leads to hypothyroidism, which slows down your metabolism. A slower metabolism means you’re more likely to store fat than burn it.
- Weakness. This is another issue that occurs due to a sluggish metabolism. Burning fewer calories for energy means your muscles don’t work as efficiently.
- Tiredness. Once again, this is another symptom of a slow metabolism, brought on by a sluggish thyroid…caused by not getting enough iodine.
- Feeling cold. A slower metabolism means you’re producing less energy, and energy is necessary to warm up your body.
- Hair loss. Thyroid hormones are responsible for renewing your hair follicles. Hair falls out all the time, but when your thyroid is healthy, it replaces the lost hair follicles. If those follicles aren’t replaced as quickly as they fall out, the result is thinning hair.
- Dry skin. Another job of the thyroid hormones is to help with cell renewal. If the thyroid hormones aren’t doing their job, dead skin cells can build up, leading to flaky skin.
- Slow heart rate. Once again, this is due to a sluggish metabolism.
- Memory problems. Thyroid hormones are intimately tied to brain development and function, so it makes sense that not getting enough iodine can have negative effects on memory. One study even showed that people who had low thyroid hormones (caused by iodine deficiency) had a smaller hippocampus—that’s the part of the brain that affects memory.
- Swollen neck. This is one of the most obvious physical signs of iodine deficiency. That’s because when the thyroid gland isn’t getting enough iodine, it tries to absorb more from your blood. The result is a swollen thyroid—and a swollen neck.
Keep in mind that any of these symptoms could be completely unrelated to iodine deficiency. But if you read this list and felt like I was talking about you, then chances are pretty good you’ve got an iodine deficiency.
To find out for sure, go to your doctor and ask for a urine test.
In the meantime, work on incorporating more iodine-containing foods into your diet. A few of the best include cod, tuna, eggs, shrimp, yogurt, and seaweed.
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
When it comes to COVID-19, symptoms can range from non-existent to life-threatening. The good news is which category you fall into doesn’t have to be decided by a coin toss. A recent study identified a drug-free technique that’s been proven to reduce the risk of hospitalization—and even death—from COVID-19. And it just so happens I’ve...
Living longer is about more than adding years to your life. It’s about living healthy and disease-free no matter your chronological age. Who wants to live to 90 if their memory has failed them, or to 100 if they’re strapped to an oxygen tank, and every breath is a struggle? No, for me, living longer...
It’s impossible to avoid cancer-causing chemicals these days. They’re found in everything from the food you eat, to the cosmetics you use, to the air you breathe. Now, an alarming study has spotted one of the most notorious cancer-causing chemicals in 80 percent of the urine samples tested. Fortunately, you can take steps to avoid...
Alzheimer’s disease is projected to skyrocket in the next few decades, and there’s currently no cure. That means the time to act is now. Many folks focus on diet—and there’s no doubt that this is an important component. But there’s a critical Alzheimer’s risk factor that tends to fly under the radar—and it has nothing...
We’re still in the height of summer… so you might not be thinking about ways to avoid colds, flu, and other sicknesses typically associated with winter. But bolstering your immune system never goes out of season. Fortunately, by including certain key foods in your everyday diet, you can benefit from a stronger immune system no...
COVID-19 may not be making as many headlines these days, but that doesn’t mean it’s gone away. As time has gone on, more research has been done to find out they best ways to prevent infection… or to reduce the severity of the virus if you happen to get sick. Today, I want to highlight...
Reading about the mainstream’s position on the benefits of coffee is like watching a game of ping-pong. Coffee is bad for you… it’s good for you. It will cause heart problems… it will prevent heart problems. It will shorten your life… it will help you live longer. Enough already! It’s time to end this back...
Yesterday, I told you about a surprising way to boost your gut health. Today, I want to tell you a big reason WHY you’d want to take steps to improve your microbiome in the first place (and it has nothing to do with digestion or bloating). According to a recent study, taking one simple step...
For years, the medical community and food manufacturers have demonized dietary fat as the source of all your health problems. The claim? Fat will make you fat! The only problem is… it’s a big FAT lie. We’ve known this for years. But now, a recent study has shown that eating MORE fat can help improve...
I knew that America’s heart health was not doing well. After all, heart disease is still the number one killer, claiming the lives of nearly 700,000 people every year. Even knowing that, I didn’t realize just how bad things had gotten. Based on a new checklist put out by the American Heart Association, it turns...