Slash Inflammation (and Stop Disease) in 6 Easy Steps
Q: I’ve noticed a lot of articles over the past few weeks that have been talking about the connection between inflammation and all kinds of diseases. What are some of the best ways to reduce inflammation?
Dr. G: I’m glad you’ve been paying attention. You’re right – inflammation is one of the underlying causes of just about every major disease, including heart disease, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, arthritis, and autoimmune diseases.
The fact that you’re actively thinking about taking steps to lower your inflammation means you’re on the right track.
Like most things you can do for your health, what you do to reduce inflammation is as important as what you don’t do.
These are my top 6 dos and don’ts of cutting inflammation. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but it’s a great start.
- Curcumin. If I had to choose just one supplement for inflammation, this would be it. Curcumin is the main active compound found in the spice turmeric, and literally thousands of studies have shown its anti-inflammatory powers. Be sure you take it with black pepper because it makes it more absorbable.
- Sunlight. Not getting enough sunlight leads to a deficiency in vitamin D, which in known to increase not only inflammation, but cancer risk as well. As an added benefit, getting plenty of sun during the day helps regulate your circadian clock, which releases hormones that control energy, mood, sleep, and more.
- Omega-3s. These healthy fats are known for their brain-boosting benefits. But they are highly anti-inflammatory as well. The foods highest in omega-3s include salmon, tuna, krill, algae, walnuts, egg yolks, and cod liver oil. If you choose to take an omega-3 supplement, make sure it contains both DHA and EPA.
- Lose Weight. Easier said than done, but those extra pounds are more than unsightly. Fat cells churn out inflammatory molecules. Lose the fat, reduce the inflammation.
- Cut Out the Sugar. Not only will it help you with #4, but it will help prevent your body from releasing too much insulin, which leads to inflammation. Consuming too much sugar also increases inflammation directly by increasing levels of proinflammatory messengers called cytokines. The best way to reduce your sugar intake is to stop eating processed junk food. And if you insist on having a sweetener in your coffee, stevia is a good alternative to sugar.
- Avoid foods that cause inflammation. These include refined carbs, fried foods, sodas, and vegetable oils.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
For years, the medical establishment has told us that any damage done to your heart is irreversible. You just had to make do with the healthy parts of your heart that are left. I’ve always believed that was total nonsense… and another study is proving I was right. Because it turns out there’s an easy...
Fixing a key underlying deficiency could have you harnessing your body’s fat-burning power in just minutes a day—without diets or exercise.
Alzheimer’s. There’s a laundry list of reasons why this condition is so tragic. You don’t just lose your memories and your independence – it even changes your behavior and what it means to be you. While some researchers are frantically searching for a cure, others are doing their best to stop it from developing to...
It’s hard to imagine a bigger hoax foisted on the American public than the cholesterol/statin myth. The Big Pharma propaganda machine has managed to convince millions of people to take a dangerous drug for an imaginary problem. These drugs cost a fortune and come loaded with side effects, yet studies continue to reveal that they...
Your responses to my new pain survey keep rolling in… and I’m seeing firsthand how pain is controlling too many of your lives. One woman wrote how her fingers hurt so much, she can’t even hold a pen anymore. Nobody should have to live like that… and you don’t have to anymore. Because, believe it...
Thanks so much to all of you who responded to my pain survey last week (if you still haven’t taken it, click here). I’ve been absolutely overwhelmed by your response… and by your stories of the ways pain has impacted your lives. One reader wrote how she used to walk her dog every day, and...
Let’s face it – none of our bodies are quite as limber as they used to be. And lots of times, the problem starts as soon as you roll out of bed. You start your morning with stiff, aching joints. But it turns out that morning stiffness could actually be a sign of something much...
It was one of the largest studies of its kind… and it ought to have millions of Americans very nervous. A new study showed that people who work at night are sending their cancer risk through the roof. Maybe you retired a long time ago… but that still doesn’t mean you’re out of the woods....
Let’s take a quiz. What has more vitamin C than an orange… Has 75% of the RDA of vitamin A… And has even been show you fight cancer… heart disease… blindness… and arthritis? It’s a delicious, tropical fruit that’s been called the “fruit of angels” — and chances are, you’re not getting nearly enough of...
You know that what you eat impacts things like your heart, your brain, and your gut. Eating the right foods can reduce arthritis pain, boost your mood, and even improve your sex drive. Yet most people are shocked when I tell them that their diet plays a direct role in another all-too-common condition of aging:...