Superfood Stops Memory Loss and Arthritis
In general, I think that the word “superfood” is overused. But when it comes to ginger root, that’s the perfect word to describe it.
Ginger is one of the tastiest foods on the planet (in my opinion), and research has shown time and again that it is one of the healthiest as well.
It is probably most well known for its ability to combat motion sickness and nausea. One study even showed that it’s as effective as prescription drugs when it comes to relieving sea-sickness.
But to label this spice simply as a motion-sickness remedy would be selling it short. In reality, it contains powerful nutrients that can beneficially impact virtually every area of our health.
Here are the top 6.
- Ginger is good for your brain. Inflammation is at the root of virtually every disease you can think of—and that is especially true of cognitive decline and neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s. Studies show that the active compounds in ginger help stop inflammation in the brain. It has also been shown to protect against the type of cognitive decline that occurs with aging, while enhancing brain function by improving working memory and reaction time.
- Ginger helps combat chronic indigestion. This type of pain in the upper part of the stomach occurs when the stomach doesn’t empty its contents as quickly as it should. But in people who suffer from chronic indigestion, ginger has been found to speed up this process—with one study showing it sped up the process by 50 percent.
- Ginger helps lower blood sugar. In one study, taking just 2 grams of ginger per day lowered blood sugar in diabetics by 12 percent, and lowered HbA1c levels by 10 percent. It also led to reductions in two major risk factors for heart disease.
- Ginger helps relieve osteoarthritis pain. In a study of people with knee osteoarthritis, the people who took ginger didn’t need as much pain medication, and had less overall pain. Another study that included ginger found that the mixture reduced the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.
- Ginger helps relieve muscle pain as well. Ginger has been shown to reduce muscle pain caused by exercise, as well as general muscle pain. Once again, these benefits are likely due to ginger’s anti-inflammatory properties.
- Finally, if you don’t have ginger in the house, you might want to stock up before winter. The active compound in ginger (called gingerol) can help lower the risk of infections. Studies also show that it stops the growth of bacteria, and that it’s especially effective against a virus that causes respiratory infections.
So how can you get a little more of this spice in your life? Personally, I like to add ginger to stir fry meals, or you can toss it in with any fruit or veggie smoothie.
Or for a nice wintertime treat, try making some ginger tea. Steep a few strips of fresh ginger in hot water, and then add some lemon and honey.
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
The fear of heart disease is very real… and for good reason. It’s remained the top killer in the US for decades. More and more people are taking steps to reduce their risk of heart disease, and I couldn’t be happier about that. Unfortunately, one of the main prevention strategies could not just be dangerous…...
Your joints are something you don’t think much about… until they’re in constant pain. For the 91 million people suffering from arthritis, their painful, often swollen joints are something they can’t stop thinking about. But there’s a natural treatment that’s been found to be effective for both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis. And it’s guaranteed to help...
There are no shortcuts in life… and certainly not in medicine. This is especially true when it comes to weight loss. Surgeons (who only get paid when they perform surgeries) will tell you that bariatric surgery could solve your weight loss woes. But not all weight loss surgeries are the same. And there’s one in...
Depression is often a taboo topic, especially among seniors. But even though no one is talking about it, clinical depression is sadly very common in older individuals… with estimates putting the number at around 6 million people over 65. But you don’t have to suffer through the sadness. There is one surprisingly simple way to...
If you’re a man over 60, you’ve probably noticed a few changes in recent years… none of them good. Maybe your muscles have shrunk… or your energy has tanked… or your sex life has become non-existent. Sounds like a giant drag – but it doesn’t have to be that way. I’m 66, and I feel...
If you’re not thinking about heart health, it’s time to get on the ball. It remains the nation’s number one killer… and even though some estimates indicate that cancer could top that list soon enough, heart disease will still kill hundreds of thousands in the coming years. I don’t want you to be one of...
Long before we had an FDA, pharmaceutical companies, synthetic drugs, and an epidemic of chronic disease, we had medicine men who learned to harness the healing power of plants. These healers knew how to use the leaves, roots, stems, and just about any part of any plant to treat just about any disease. And it...
The biggest crisis in modern medicine isn’t finding a cure for cancer or curbing the heart disease epidemic. It’s the looming threat of antibiotic-resistant infections. Bacteria are figuring out how to outlive antibiotics… and creating a scary future where even the most minor infection could turn deadly. But there’s good news…. Canadian researchers believe that...
It’s hard to know what to eat these days. Foods villainized a few years ago are now getting the green light – some of the key ones being eggs, full-fat dairy, and butter (and it’s about time). I’ve been eating them all along. But if you’re adding them back into your diet, there’s something you...
I’m always frustrated by high blood pressure. High blood pressure increases your risk of heart attacks and strokes, aneurysms, heart failure, metabolic syndrome, dementia, and more. And more than 100 million people in the US have it. But it is completely preventable. I’ve talked to you about all sorts of ways to keep your blood...