Superfood Stops Memory Loss and Arthritis
In general, I think that the word “superfood” is overused. But when it comes to ginger root, that’s the perfect word to describe it.
Ginger is one of the tastiest foods on the planet (in my opinion), and research has shown time and again that it is one of the healthiest as well.
It is probably most well known for its ability to combat motion sickness and nausea. One study even showed that it’s as effective as prescription drugs when it comes to relieving sea-sickness.
But to label this spice simply as a motion-sickness remedy would be selling it short. In reality, it contains powerful nutrients that can beneficially impact virtually every area of our health.
Here are the top 6.
- Ginger is good for your brain. Inflammation is at the root of virtually every disease you can think of—and that is especially true of cognitive decline and neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s. Studies show that the active compounds in ginger help stop inflammation in the brain. It has also been shown to protect against the type of cognitive decline that occurs with aging, while enhancing brain function by improving working memory and reaction time.
- Ginger helps combat chronic indigestion. This type of pain in the upper part of the stomach occurs when the stomach doesn’t empty its contents as quickly as it should. But in people who suffer from chronic indigestion, ginger has been found to speed up this process—with one study showing it sped up the process by 50 percent.
- Ginger helps lower blood sugar. In one study, taking just 2 grams of ginger per day lowered blood sugar in diabetics by 12 percent, and lowered HbA1c levels by 10 percent. It also led to reductions in two major risk factors for heart disease.
- Ginger helps relieve osteoarthritis pain. In a study of people with knee osteoarthritis, the people who took ginger didn’t need as much pain medication, and had less overall pain. Another study that included ginger found that the mixture reduced the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.
- Ginger helps relieve muscle pain as well. Ginger has been shown to reduce muscle pain caused by exercise, as well as general muscle pain. Once again, these benefits are likely due to ginger’s anti-inflammatory properties.
- Finally, if you don’t have ginger in the house, you might want to stock up before winter. The active compound in ginger (called gingerol) can help lower the risk of infections. Studies also show that it stops the growth of bacteria, and that it’s especially effective against a virus that causes respiratory infections.
So how can you get a little more of this spice in your life? Personally, I like to add ginger to stir fry meals, or you can toss it in with any fruit or veggie smoothie.
Or for a nice wintertime treat, try making some ginger tea. Steep a few strips of fresh ginger in hot water, and then add some lemon and honey.
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Most of my patients are SHOCKED when I tell them the news… The biggest threat to your health… and the best predictor of how long you’ll live… isn’t your genes or your family medical history. It’s literally EVERYTHING else around us. From the food we eat to the air we breathe, we’re SURROUNDED by toxins...
“I just wish I could do it all over again.” I can’t tell you how many times a patient has sat in my office and uttered those very words. They want their health back… they want to feel the energy, vitality, and DRIVE they had 30 or 40 years ago. And it’s possible… in fact, I’m...
So-called health “experts” are full of ideas on how to improve your brain (and that’s not all they’re full of). They’ll tell you to try Sudoku puzzles… or learn a new language. The only problem? Practically NOBODY is going to do these things. Most folks will take the risk of cognitive decline before they order...
Getting older is tough enough. But I’ll admit, lots of women have it especially hard. That’s because they’re faced with the going through the “change of life” – menopause. Menopause can unleash a barrage of symptoms like hot flashes, sleep problems, mood swings, bone loss and decreased sex drive. Most doctors will load you up with...
When you’re diagnosed with prostate cancer, you can practically hear the surgeons sharpening their scalpels. They just can’t WAIT to cut you open… either by hand, or with one of those fancy new robots. Meanwhile, lots of guys who get prostate cancer surgery will tell you it was the worst decision of their lives. It can...
When you’re suffering from arthritis, it can feel like you have no good options. You can just deal with the pain… or pop addictive and deadly opioid drugs… or you can go under the knife. Some choices, huh? How about another choice? Like NONE OF THE ABOVE? Because a new study has revealed a powerful way...
There are some docs who will tell you that diseases like dementia are a matter of genetics. If you have the wrong genes, you’re basically doomed. But that’s total nonsense. As many as 50% of dementia cases are due to factors that are completely within your control… things like high blood pressure, obesity, and smoking. Now,...
Following mainstream advice is like following a moving target. What’s good for you one day is labeled as bad the next. One the flip side, certain foods that have been demonized for decades are suddenly hailed as superfoods. Case in point? One “forbidden” food is now turning out to be a heart-health hero. And it...
If you’re trying to avoid diabetes, chances are you’re watching what you eat pretty closely. But what if you’ve been given bad advice? What if you’re going about diabetes prevention all wrong? According to a recent study, watching what you eat is only part of the equation… and it’s not even the most important part....
Ask most doctors how to prevent a heart attack, and they’ll give you the standard reply. Ditch all the junk food, lose 20 pounds, and work out every single day. That’s not bad advice… except NOBODY is going to do it. I’ve been practicing medicine for nearly 40 years. And I know that asking people to...