Superfood Stops Memory Loss and Arthritis
In general, I think that the word “superfood” is overused. But when it comes to ginger root, that’s the perfect word to describe it.
Ginger is one of the tastiest foods on the planet (in my opinion), and research has shown time and again that it is one of the healthiest as well.
It is probably most well known for its ability to combat motion sickness and nausea. One study even showed that it’s as effective as prescription drugs when it comes to relieving sea-sickness.
But to label this spice simply as a motion-sickness remedy would be selling it short. In reality, it contains powerful nutrients that can beneficially impact virtually every area of our health.
Here are the top 6.
- Ginger is good for your brain. Inflammation is at the root of virtually every disease you can think of—and that is especially true of cognitive decline and neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s. Studies show that the active compounds in ginger help stop inflammation in the brain. It has also been shown to protect against the type of cognitive decline that occurs with aging, while enhancing brain function by improving working memory and reaction time.
- Ginger helps combat chronic indigestion. This type of pain in the upper part of the stomach occurs when the stomach doesn’t empty its contents as quickly as it should. But in people who suffer from chronic indigestion, ginger has been found to speed up this process—with one study showing it sped up the process by 50 percent.
- Ginger helps lower blood sugar. In one study, taking just 2 grams of ginger per day lowered blood sugar in diabetics by 12 percent, and lowered HbA1c levels by 10 percent. It also led to reductions in two major risk factors for heart disease.
- Ginger helps relieve osteoarthritis pain. In a study of people with knee osteoarthritis, the people who took ginger didn’t need as much pain medication, and had less overall pain. Another study that included ginger found that the mixture reduced the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.
- Ginger helps relieve muscle pain as well. Ginger has been shown to reduce muscle pain caused by exercise, as well as general muscle pain. Once again, these benefits are likely due to ginger’s anti-inflammatory properties.
- Finally, if you don’t have ginger in the house, you might want to stock up before winter. The active compound in ginger (called gingerol) can help lower the risk of infections. Studies also show that it stops the growth of bacteria, and that it’s especially effective against a virus that causes respiratory infections.
So how can you get a little more of this spice in your life? Personally, I like to add ginger to stir fry meals, or you can toss it in with any fruit or veggie smoothie.
Or for a nice wintertime treat, try making some ginger tea. Steep a few strips of fresh ginger in hot water, and then add some lemon and honey.
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
For years, the medical establishment has told us that any damage done to your heart is irreversible. You just had to make do with the healthy parts of your heart that are left. I’ve always believed that was total nonsense… and another study is proving I was right. Because it turns out there’s an easy...
Fixing a key underlying deficiency could have you harnessing your body’s fat-burning power in just minutes a day—without diets or exercise.
Alzheimer’s. There’s a laundry list of reasons why this condition is so tragic. You don’t just lose your memories and your independence – it even changes your behavior and what it means to be you. While some researchers are frantically searching for a cure, others are doing their best to stop it from developing to...
It’s hard to imagine a bigger hoax foisted on the American public than the cholesterol/statin myth. The Big Pharma propaganda machine has managed to convince millions of people to take a dangerous drug for an imaginary problem. These drugs cost a fortune and come loaded with side effects, yet studies continue to reveal that they...
Your responses to my new pain survey keep rolling in… and I’m seeing firsthand how pain is controlling too many of your lives. One woman wrote how her fingers hurt so much, she can’t even hold a pen anymore. Nobody should have to live like that… and you don’t have to anymore. Because, believe it...
Thanks so much to all of you who responded to my pain survey last week (if you still haven’t taken it, click here). I’ve been absolutely overwhelmed by your response… and by your stories of the ways pain has impacted your lives. One reader wrote how she used to walk her dog every day, and...
Let’s face it – none of our bodies are quite as limber as they used to be. And lots of times, the problem starts as soon as you roll out of bed. You start your morning with stiff, aching joints. But it turns out that morning stiffness could actually be a sign of something much...
It was one of the largest studies of its kind… and it ought to have millions of Americans very nervous. A new study showed that people who work at night are sending their cancer risk through the roof. Maybe you retired a long time ago… but that still doesn’t mean you’re out of the woods....
Let’s take a quiz. What has more vitamin C than an orange… Has 75% of the RDA of vitamin A… And has even been show you fight cancer… heart disease… blindness… and arthritis? It’s a delicious, tropical fruit that’s been called the “fruit of angels” — and chances are, you’re not getting nearly enough of...
You know that what you eat impacts things like your heart, your brain, and your gut. Eating the right foods can reduce arthritis pain, boost your mood, and even improve your sex drive. Yet most people are shocked when I tell them that their diet plays a direct role in another all-too-common condition of aging:...