Superfood Stops Memory Loss and Arthritis
In general, I think that the word “superfood” is overused. But when it comes to ginger root, that’s the perfect word to describe it.
Ginger is one of the tastiest foods on the planet (in my opinion), and research has shown time and again that it is one of the healthiest as well.
It is probably most well known for its ability to combat motion sickness and nausea. One study even showed that it’s as effective as prescription drugs when it comes to relieving sea-sickness.
But to label this spice simply as a motion-sickness remedy would be selling it short. In reality, it contains powerful nutrients that can beneficially impact virtually every area of our health.
Here are the top 6.
- Ginger is good for your brain. Inflammation is at the root of virtually every disease you can think of—and that is especially true of cognitive decline and neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s. Studies show that the active compounds in ginger help stop inflammation in the brain. It has also been shown to protect against the type of cognitive decline that occurs with aging, while enhancing brain function by improving working memory and reaction time.
- Ginger helps combat chronic indigestion. This type of pain in the upper part of the stomach occurs when the stomach doesn’t empty its contents as quickly as it should. But in people who suffer from chronic indigestion, ginger has been found to speed up this process—with one study showing it sped up the process by 50 percent.
- Ginger helps lower blood sugar. In one study, taking just 2 grams of ginger per day lowered blood sugar in diabetics by 12 percent, and lowered HbA1c levels by 10 percent. It also led to reductions in two major risk factors for heart disease.
- Ginger helps relieve osteoarthritis pain. In a study of people with knee osteoarthritis, the people who took ginger didn’t need as much pain medication, and had less overall pain. Another study that included ginger found that the mixture reduced the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.
- Ginger helps relieve muscle pain as well. Ginger has been shown to reduce muscle pain caused by exercise, as well as general muscle pain. Once again, these benefits are likely due to ginger’s anti-inflammatory properties.
- Finally, if you don’t have ginger in the house, you might want to stock up before winter. The active compound in ginger (called gingerol) can help lower the risk of infections. Studies also show that it stops the growth of bacteria, and that it’s especially effective against a virus that causes respiratory infections.
So how can you get a little more of this spice in your life? Personally, I like to add ginger to stir fry meals, or you can toss it in with any fruit or veggie smoothie.
Or for a nice wintertime treat, try making some ginger tea. Steep a few strips of fresh ginger in hot water, and then add some lemon and honey.
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Judging from what you hear from some people, being healthy and avoiding disease is NO FUN AT ALL. It involves never eating another donut… running like a rat on a treadmill… and drinking frothy green juice potent enough to make you gag. That’s NOT my version of healthy—and it doesn’t have to be yours either....
You’ve probably realized by now that I’m a big fan of coffee. I drink it for the taste—but the health benefits are just as good. But there’s another ancient health elixir that rivals coffee when it comes to reversing disease. In fact, folks who drink it have a reduced risk of cancer, heart attack, and...
Getting older is one thing. Feeling and looking older is something entirely different. I’m 66 years old, but I’ve never let that stop me from doing the same things I loved doing at 56, or 46. But as many as 25 percent of adults over 65 are at risk of losing their ability to do...
I often focus on what TO do in order to get healthy or avoid disease. Today I’m going to give you a tip for what NOT to do… especially if you’re suffering from (or want to avoid) rheumatoid arthritis. A recent study shows that ONE THING could increase your risk of rheumatoid arthritis by 164%....
Some famous duos are good… Simon and Garfunkel, Han Solo and Chewbacca, and peanut butter and chocolate come to mind. But others aren’t so good. Now, researchers have found that if you have one particular duo of diseases… you could be DEAD within the year. Here’s what you need to know. Heart failure and diabetes...
When it comes to nutrients, there are the superstars and the unsung heroes. Superstars are nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin D, and omega-3s. Unsung heroes include up-and-comers like magnesium, chromium, and pycnogenol. Today I want to highlight an unsung hero that should receive superstar status. You’ve probably never heard of this nutrient—but it’s absolutely essential...
Most people want to live a long life. But what good is living longer if you’re riddled with disease… can barely get around…or in constant pain? Not much. That’s why I always focus on ways to live longer AND healthier. And now, a new study has come out showing one simple way to do BOTH....
It’s no secret that I’m opposed to the flu shot. But every year, starting in the next month or so, you’ll be bombarded with propaganda pushing these dangerous shots. That’s why every year, I like to remind you of why you should keep your sleeves rolled down and JUST SAY NO. Here are 6 of...
It’s easy to get in a rut when it comes to food. If you think about it, we tend to eat the same foods over and over again. If you’re choosing healthy foods, there’s nothing wrong with that… But you might be missing out on some of nature’s true superstars when it comes to both...
Well, folks, I have more bad news to report on one of the go-to treatments for prostate cancer. A few weeks ago, I told you about how it can increase your risk of dementia by 20% and the risk of Alzheimer’s by 14%. And it only gets worse from there… Because a new study shows...