Superfood Stops Memory Loss and Arthritis
In general, I think that the word “superfood” is overused. But when it comes to ginger root, that’s the perfect word to describe it.
Ginger is one of the tastiest foods on the planet (in my opinion), and research has shown time and again that it is one of the healthiest as well.
It is probably most well known for its ability to combat motion sickness and nausea. One study even showed that it’s as effective as prescription drugs when it comes to relieving sea-sickness.
But to label this spice simply as a motion-sickness remedy would be selling it short. In reality, it contains powerful nutrients that can beneficially impact virtually every area of our health.
Here are the top 6.
- Ginger is good for your brain. Inflammation is at the root of virtually every disease you can think of—and that is especially true of cognitive decline and neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s. Studies show that the active compounds in ginger help stop inflammation in the brain. It has also been shown to protect against the type of cognitive decline that occurs with aging, while enhancing brain function by improving working memory and reaction time.
- Ginger helps combat chronic indigestion. This type of pain in the upper part of the stomach occurs when the stomach doesn’t empty its contents as quickly as it should. But in people who suffer from chronic indigestion, ginger has been found to speed up this process—with one study showing it sped up the process by 50 percent.
- Ginger helps lower blood sugar. In one study, taking just 2 grams of ginger per day lowered blood sugar in diabetics by 12 percent, and lowered HbA1c levels by 10 percent. It also led to reductions in two major risk factors for heart disease.
- Ginger helps relieve osteoarthritis pain. In a study of people with knee osteoarthritis, the people who took ginger didn’t need as much pain medication, and had less overall pain. Another study that included ginger found that the mixture reduced the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.
- Ginger helps relieve muscle pain as well. Ginger has been shown to reduce muscle pain caused by exercise, as well as general muscle pain. Once again, these benefits are likely due to ginger’s anti-inflammatory properties.
- Finally, if you don’t have ginger in the house, you might want to stock up before winter. The active compound in ginger (called gingerol) can help lower the risk of infections. Studies also show that it stops the growth of bacteria, and that it’s especially effective against a virus that causes respiratory infections.
So how can you get a little more of this spice in your life? Personally, I like to add ginger to stir fry meals, or you can toss it in with any fruit or veggie smoothie.
Or for a nice wintertime treat, try making some ginger tea. Steep a few strips of fresh ginger in hot water, and then add some lemon and honey.
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Maybe you’re trying to control your weight or blood sugar. So what does your doctor tell you to do? Count calories… eat healthier… and exercise more. But, believe it or not, ONE bad habit could be ruining all of your hard work. And it could be putting you on the fast track to obesity, diabetes,...
Let me ask you a question. How many prescription medications are you taking right now? If you’re like lots of American seniors, you’re probably taking plenty. Maybe one drug for your heart… one for your diabetes… and maybe even an antidepressant or anti-anxiety med. But what if you could solve ALL of these problems with...
They say there are two guarantees in life: death and taxes. And I’d add another one to the list: If you get diagnosed with cancer, I guarantee your doctor will tell you to get chemotherapy. Better safe than sorry, right? Wrong. A new study on chemotherapy and breast cancer is about to turn the entire cancer treatment...
Tired of giving up everything you love to chase down perfect blood sugar levels? I don’t blame you. Who wants some cranky doctor telling them what they can and can’t eat? Not me. So instead of telling you what you CAN’T eat, I’m going to tell you what you CAN. Because ADDING one simple food...
It’s one of the scariest things about getting older. I’m not talking about getting cancer…or diabetes…or even dying. It’s the fear of losing your mind. With Alzheimer’s at an all-time high (and climbing), you have every right to be worried. But there’s a common nighttime problem that may be sending your risk of brain shrinkage…...
I don’t know about you… but I have no plans to “grow old gracefully.” I’m going to fight Father Time tooth-and-nail. But there’s nothing that makes you feel older than looking in the mirror and seeing new wrinkles. We’ve always been told there’s nothing we can do about it. NONSENSE! My friends at Gold Leaf...
Why does dieting have to be so hard? You practically stave yourself… you work out like a Green Beret… and the scale won’t budge. But what if your weight issues aren’t your fault at all? New research proves that a simple diet deficiency may be FORCING our bodies to pack on pounds. And correcting it...
Being diagnosed with cancer is terrifying enough. But here’s where things get even worse… When your doctor tells you that your type of cancer is particularly hard to treat. But what if there was an all-natural way to make these hard-to-treat cancers easy to kill? Believe it or not, the solution exists… and it’s probably sitting...
There aren’t many guarantees in medicine – but this is as close to a guarantee as I can give. If you keep your arteries clear, there’s a very good chance you’ll NEVER have a heart attack. But here’s the problem… Mainstream medicine wants you to protect your arteries by taking cholesterol-lowering statin drugs. And that’s...
Q: My daughter has anxiety issues. We have been investigating CBD oil for a while, but are confused about one thing: Is there one CBD oil for anxiety, another variety for pain, etc. Or does it come "one size fits all?” -Larry P. Dr. G: I don’t blame you for being confused. Our government spent years driving...