Say Goodbye to Varicose Veins
Q: I’ve been dealing with varicose veins for years. I’m so embarrassed by them that I won’t wear shorts—or even go swimming—in the summer. Plus, they constantly burn and itch. I don’t want to have surgery. Are there any natural treatments I can try?
Dr. G: Anyone who suffers from varicose veins knows that it’s much more than a cosmetic issue.
These unhealthy veins can cause your legs to burn and itch, they can lead to muscle cramps, and they can also lead to swelling of the legs and ankles.
More importantly, they’re a sign that your veins aren’t functioning properly.
The good news is that you don’t have to live in discomfort—and you don’t need to resort to painful vein-closing procedures, either.
There are a number of drug-free treatments that you can do from the comfort of your own home to help make your legs feel young again.
- Exercise. Varicose veins represent a circulation problem. They occur when valves in the veins that are supposed to stop blood from flowing backwards become weak, which causes blood to pool and veins to swell.
Exercise helps improve circulation in your legs, which encourages blood to keep moving instead of collecting in certain areas. As an added benefit, exercise helps to lower blood pressure, which can also play a role in varicose veins.
- Compression stockings. By applying physical pressure to the legs, these stockings help the veins continue moving blood to the heart. One study found that using these stocking for just one week helped reduce the pain and aching in the legs.
- Essential oils. Numerous essential oils have been shown to help alleviate the symptoms of varicose veins. Horse chestnut oil reduces pain, heaviness, and itching. And sea pine extract and Butcher’s broom extract have both been shown to reduce swelling.
- Diet. Certain potassium-rich foods can help treat varicose veins by reducing water retention in the body. These include almonds and pistachios, leafy greens, and fish like salmon and tuna.
- Flavonoids. These plant chemicals are antioxidants that have potent anti-inflammatory benefits throughout the body. Flavonoids have numerous mechanisms of action that are beneficial in the treatment of varicose veins.
They improve circulation, making blood less likely to pool in the veins, and they reduce blood pressure—two actions that can help shrink painful, swollen varicose veins.
To get your daily dose of flavonoids, loads up on veggies like bell peppers, spinach, and broccoli, citrus fruits like cherries and apples, and garlic.
- Don’t wear tight clothing. It can restrict blood flow, which is the last thing you want to do with this condition. Along these lines, avoid sitting cross-legged, which can restrict blood flow to the legs.
- Keep your legs elevated. You don’t have to do this all day, but try this simple trick when you’re reading a book or watching TV in the evenings. It improves circulation, reduces pressure in the legs, and lets gravity help with blood flow back to the heart.
Want me to answer your question next? Email me at email@example.com
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Last week I told you about a popular food that does NOT negatively impact your heart: eggs. Today, I’m sounding the alarm about a “hidden” ingredient that can actually DOUBLE your risk of dying from heart disease. You’re probably eating it every single day… and you don’t even know it. Find out what it is…...
It’s no secret that smoking can wreak havoc on your lungs. The one habit can lead to breathing issues… chronic lung disease… and even cancer But whether you’ve smoked one cigarette a day or an entire pack—and even if you quit years ago— there’s a way to REVERSE the damage it’s caused. In fact, a...
When it comes to your heart health, it can be hard to know what to believe these days. Dietary advice that is in vogue one day is cast aside the next. But I don’t believe in fad diets or following the advice of major corporations that are on the payroll of various Big Food industries....
Despite all of the mainstream’s drugs and dietary advice, the number of people with type 2 diabetes keeps increasing. That’s because most conventional treatments are only providing band-aid solutions. I don’t want to patch problems—I want to make them disappear. And when it comes to type 2 diabetes, scientists have made a shocking discovery that...
While some types of cancer are on the decline, liver cancer rates have TRIPLED in the past 40 years. It’s estimated that last year alone, over 42,000 people were diagnosed with cancer that starts in the liver… and over 31,000 of those individuals died. Those aren’t good odds. The key to reversing this trend is...
As you get older, there’s probably one thing you worry about the most: your brain. Because if it gets damaged… you can lose your memories… and your independence. The mainstream is CLUELESS when it comes to protecting this organ. But you don’t have to be. Because there’s a wonder drink that shields your brain. And...
It’s a common sickness that impacts millions of American’s every year… and many of them are seniors. And other than making you miserable for a few days, most folks are no worse for wear. But that all could be about to change. Because this seemingly harmless bacterial infection is threatening to become next on a...
If you’re diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, your doctor will give you meds to take. But no drug can cure Alzheimer’s. And no drug can prevent it, either. But you don’t need to take a drug to prevent the disease. A new study has shown that there’s a drug-free way to reduce your risk by nearly...
Surgeons love to operate… and men with prostate cancer are sitting ducks. Having cancer surgically removed might seem like an obvious choice—but it’s not. In reality, doing nothing is likely your best, safest option. The problem is that current testing options don’t tell you if your cancer is aggressive (and needs to be removed), or...
Leave it to Big Pharma to sell you one drug to help prevent heart attacks… and another that can CAUSE them. That’s right. A popular diabetes drug can increase your risk of numerous types of heart issues… including heart attacks. Big Pharma has known about this risk for years—and the drug is banned in Europe....