Say Goodbye to Varicose Veins
Q: I’ve been dealing with varicose veins for years. I’m so embarrassed by them that I won’t wear shorts—or even go swimming—in the summer. Plus, they constantly burn and itch. I don’t want to have surgery. Are there any natural treatments I can try?
Dr. G: Anyone who suffers from varicose veins knows that it’s much more than a cosmetic issue.
These unhealthy veins can cause your legs to burn and itch, they can lead to muscle cramps, and they can also lead to swelling of the legs and ankles.
More importantly, they’re a sign that your veins aren’t functioning properly.
The good news is that you don’t have to live in discomfort—and you don’t need to resort to painful vein-closing procedures, either.
There are a number of drug-free treatments that you can do from the comfort of your own home to help make your legs feel young again.
- Exercise. Varicose veins represent a circulation problem. They occur when valves in the veins that are supposed to stop blood from flowing backwards become weak, which causes blood to pool and veins to swell.
Exercise helps improve circulation in your legs, which encourages blood to keep moving instead of collecting in certain areas. As an added benefit, exercise helps to lower blood pressure, which can also play a role in varicose veins.
- Compression stockings. By applying physical pressure to the legs, these stockings help the veins continue moving blood to the heart. One study found that using these stocking for just one week helped reduce the pain and aching in the legs.
- Essential oils. Numerous essential oils have been shown to help alleviate the symptoms of varicose veins. Horse chestnut oil reduces pain, heaviness, and itching. And sea pine extract and Butcher’s broom extract have both been shown to reduce swelling.
- Diet. Certain potassium-rich foods can help treat varicose veins by reducing water retention in the body. These include almonds and pistachios, leafy greens, and fish like salmon and tuna.
- Flavonoids. These plant chemicals are antioxidants that have potent anti-inflammatory benefits throughout the body. Flavonoids have numerous mechanisms of action that are beneficial in the treatment of varicose veins.
They improve circulation, making blood less likely to pool in the veins, and they reduce blood pressure—two actions that can help shrink painful, swollen varicose veins.
To get your daily dose of flavonoids, loads up on veggies like bell peppers, spinach, and broccoli, citrus fruits like cherries and apples, and garlic.
- Don’t wear tight clothing. It can restrict blood flow, which is the last thing you want to do with this condition. Along these lines, avoid sitting cross-legged, which can restrict blood flow to the legs.
- Keep your legs elevated. You don’t have to do this all day, but try this simple trick when you’re reading a book or watching TV in the evenings. It improves circulation, reduces pressure in the legs, and lets gravity help with blood flow back to the heart.
Want me to answer your question next? Email me at email@example.com
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
I don’t have anything against surgery… you know, when you REALLY need it. But guess what? Lots of the surgeries done in America today… especially for chronic pain conditions… don’t accomplish a darned thing. In fact, a recent study has revealed that one of the most common types of surgery in the U.S — performed...
Have you ever been so BLOATED you felt like a balloon about to pop? Maybe you’ve had trouble with painful constipation… or gut-wrenching diarrhea. If you’ve tried just about everything to knock out these stomach problems, I’ve got great news for you today. My friends at Gold Leaf Nutritionals have developed a one-of-a-kind formula that...
It's one of the biggest fears of my patients–and it's not what you'd think. It’s not cancer, or a heart attack, or even Alzheimer's. It's the fear of going blind. And with 12 million Americans experiencing some form of progressive eye disease, it's a legitimate fear. But it turns out there’s an easy way to...
If you’re suffering from the constant pain of arthritis, I know you’d do just about anything for a little relief. That’s why it never surprises me when people are willing to face the risks of mainstream’s pain-relief options. Desperate times, desperate measures. But there’s a powerful pain-relief option that doesn’t come with a laundry list...
There’s nothing worse than sitting in a doctor’s office and learning you have cancer. You realize at that very moment that you’re in a fight for your life. If you’ve never gotten a cancer diagnosis, let’s keep it that way. Scientists have just discovered a way to make your body practically IMMUNE to 40% of the...
When the first symptoms of dementia show up, it can be absolutely terrifying. Maybe you’re forgetting names… or faces… or where you parked your car… or even how to get home. Buy what if you could spot a MAJOR risk factor for dementia YEARS before the disease strikes? You know, while there’s still time to...
People will do ANYTHING if it promises to help them live longer. The juice cleanses (no thanks). The garlic diets (no thanks). The crazy enemas (really, no thanks). But there is one thing that has been scientifically proven to help you add years to your life. It’s a drink your doctor may have “banned” a...
If you’re not concerned about antibiotic resistance yet, you should be. Antibiotic-resistant bacteria… also called “superbugs”… are killing tens of thousands of people per year. And seniors, who often have compromised immune systems, are especially at risk. Getting a serious infection that can’t be killed by antibiotics is a scary proposition. But here’s the good...
It seems like we're always one step behind breast cancer. We tell most women to get regular mammograms – but all a mammogram does is discover the cancer AFTER you already have it. Wouldn’t it be better to get a step ahead… and STOP the cancer from forming in the first place? Well, it’s possible…...
Every time a new study comes out on cell phones, it confirms what we already knew: These hand-held pieces of technology are destroying our health. Previous studies have shown they increase the risk of brain tumors and decrease your brain power (it’s true!). Now, the latest study adds another major health problem to the list—and...