Say Goodbye to Varicose Veins
Q: I’ve been dealing with varicose veins for years. I’m so embarrassed by them that I won’t wear shorts—or even go swimming—in the summer. Plus, they constantly burn and itch. I don’t want to have surgery. Are there any natural treatments I can try?
Dr. G: Anyone who suffers from varicose veins knows that it’s much more than a cosmetic issue.
These unhealthy veins can cause your legs to burn and itch, they can lead to muscle cramps, and they can also lead to swelling of the legs and ankles.
More importantly, they’re a sign that your veins aren’t functioning properly.
The good news is that you don’t have to live in discomfort—and you don’t need to resort to painful vein-closing procedures, either.
There are a number of drug-free treatments that you can do from the comfort of your own home to help make your legs feel young again.
- Exercise. Varicose veins represent a circulation problem. They occur when valves in the veins that are supposed to stop blood from flowing backwards become weak, which causes blood to pool and veins to swell.
Exercise helps improve circulation in your legs, which encourages blood to keep moving instead of collecting in certain areas. As an added benefit, exercise helps to lower blood pressure, which can also play a role in varicose veins.
- Compression stockings. By applying physical pressure to the legs, these stockings help the veins continue moving blood to the heart. One study found that using these stocking for just one week helped reduce the pain and aching in the legs.
- Essential oils. Numerous essential oils have been shown to help alleviate the symptoms of varicose veins. Horse chestnut oil reduces pain, heaviness, and itching. And sea pine extract and Butcher’s broom extract have both been shown to reduce swelling.
- Diet. Certain potassium-rich foods can help treat varicose veins by reducing water retention in the body. These include almonds and pistachios, leafy greens, and fish like salmon and tuna.
- Flavonoids. These plant chemicals are antioxidants that have potent anti-inflammatory benefits throughout the body. Flavonoids have numerous mechanisms of action that are beneficial in the treatment of varicose veins.
They improve circulation, making blood less likely to pool in the veins, and they reduce blood pressure—two actions that can help shrink painful, swollen varicose veins.
To get your daily dose of flavonoids, loads up on veggies like bell peppers, spinach, and broccoli, citrus fruits like cherries and apples, and garlic.
- Don’t wear tight clothing. It can restrict blood flow, which is the last thing you want to do with this condition. Along these lines, avoid sitting cross-legged, which can restrict blood flow to the legs.
- Keep your legs elevated. You don’t have to do this all day, but try this simple trick when you’re reading a book or watching TV in the evenings. It improves circulation, reduces pressure in the legs, and lets gravity help with blood flow back to the heart.
Want me to answer your question next? Email me at email@example.com
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Being taller doesn’t make you live longer… but having longer telomeres DOES. Telomeres are the tips on the ends of your DNA strands that protect them… Kind of like the plastic tip at the end of a shoelace (technically called aglets). If the aglet falls off, the shoelaces typically start to fray and can deteriorate...
Some health issues have an impact on your life. Others, like indigestion, attack your QUALITY of life. Common symptoms like bloating, nausea, and stomach pain can sideline you. They make you miss out on the things you love and leave you miserable. But if you battle indigestion, I have some FANTASTIC news. Researchers uncovered a...
When it comes to your health, you’re either building it up or tearing it down. The same is true of your brain. The dramatic rise in dementia and Alzheimer’s over the past few decades is NOT due to bad luck or bad genes… but bad choices. But this is good news because it means YOU’RE...
If it’s not a drug, modern medicine downplays its impact. Unfortunately, the idea that food can be used as medicine isn’t taken seriously. Or worse, it’s outright dismissed. It’s a tragedy and an outrage. After all, healthy foods are brimming with potent nutrients, every bit as powerful as any drug in the pharmacy. These “natural...
If you’re a regular Natural Health Today reader, you ALREADY know I’m a BIG fan of sunlight. Getting plenty of sunshine throughout your day sets your circadian rhythm, translating to better sleep, metabolism, energy levels, and more. Sunlight is also, hands down, the BEST source of vitamin D. Why would you want to load up...
Men, if you find yourself suffering from erectile dysfunction (ED), you want solutions. FAST. And I get it. Regardless of your age, it’s a disturbing condition. But today, I have a warning for you. New research reveals that instead of seeing ED as merely a problem that needs fixing, you should see it as a...
Yesterday, I told you about new research revealing that obesity-related heart deaths have tripled in recent years. If this has you thinking about ways to reduce the number on the scale, great! But if you’re considering choosing sugar-free, zero-calorie packaged diet foods made with sugar substitutes… That’s NOT the way to do it. Sugar substitutes...
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women. In fact, the CDC says it’s responsible for 1 in 5 deaths, killing someone every 33 seconds. This is DESPITE the advanced testing methods, millions of people taking prescription heart drugs—like statins, ACE inhibitors, and aspirin—and the push for people to eat...
All kinds of things can HARM your heart health. (In fact, later this week, I will touch on two of them.) But today, we’ll talk about the opposite: A simple way to dramatically reduce your heart risk. In fact, this easy heart hack could lower your blood pressure by as many as 10 points—no drugs...
They say that laughter is the best medicine. Now I know having a good laugh certainly makes me FEEL happier and less stressed. But could a good giggle REALLY be beneficial enough to be called medicine? A study examining the effects of “laughter therapy” asked that exact question. And the surprising answer is YES… especially...