Say Goodbye to Varicose Veins
Q: I’ve been dealing with varicose veins for years. I’m so embarrassed by them that I won’t wear shorts—or even go swimming—in the summer. Plus, they constantly burn and itch. I don’t want to have surgery. Are there any natural treatments I can try?
Dr. G: Anyone who suffers from varicose veins knows that it’s much more than a cosmetic issue.
These unhealthy veins can cause your legs to burn and itch, they can lead to muscle cramps, and they can also lead to swelling of the legs and ankles.
More importantly, they’re a sign that your veins aren’t functioning properly.
The good news is that you don’t have to live in discomfort—and you don’t need to resort to painful vein-closing procedures, either.
There are a number of drug-free treatments that you can do from the comfort of your own home to help make your legs feel young again.
- Exercise. Varicose veins represent a circulation problem. They occur when valves in the veins that are supposed to stop blood from flowing backwards become weak, which causes blood to pool and veins to swell.
Exercise helps improve circulation in your legs, which encourages blood to keep moving instead of collecting in certain areas. As an added benefit, exercise helps to lower blood pressure, which can also play a role in varicose veins.
- Compression stockings. By applying physical pressure to the legs, these stockings help the veins continue moving blood to the heart. One study found that using these stocking for just one week helped reduce the pain and aching in the legs.
- Essential oils. Numerous essential oils have been shown to help alleviate the symptoms of varicose veins. Horse chestnut oil reduces pain, heaviness, and itching. And sea pine extract and Butcher’s broom extract have both been shown to reduce swelling.
- Diet. Certain potassium-rich foods can help treat varicose veins by reducing water retention in the body. These include almonds and pistachios, leafy greens, and fish like salmon and tuna.
- Flavonoids. These plant chemicals are antioxidants that have potent anti-inflammatory benefits throughout the body. Flavonoids have numerous mechanisms of action that are beneficial in the treatment of varicose veins.
They improve circulation, making blood less likely to pool in the veins, and they reduce blood pressure—two actions that can help shrink painful, swollen varicose veins.
To get your daily dose of flavonoids, loads up on veggies like bell peppers, spinach, and broccoli, citrus fruits like cherries and apples, and garlic.
- Don’t wear tight clothing. It can restrict blood flow, which is the last thing you want to do with this condition. Along these lines, avoid sitting cross-legged, which can restrict blood flow to the legs.
- Keep your legs elevated. You don’t have to do this all day, but try this simple trick when you’re reading a book or watching TV in the evenings. It improves circulation, reduces pressure in the legs, and lets gravity help with blood flow back to the heart.
Want me to answer your question next? Email me at email@example.com
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Pain. For many people, it’s a four-letter word. And if you’re waiting for Big Pharma to concoct a safe, effective treatment, don’t hold your breath. Fortunately, you don’t need Big Pharma to KNOCK OUT stubborn pain. Because the best treatment for pain isn’t something you’ll find in your medicine cabinet… and it’s not a pill...
Heart disease, colon cancer, and diabetes are three of the killers of American seniors. And instead of focusing on one way to prevent heart disease, another way to prevent cancer, and so on, the mainstream should be focused on ONE simple cure for all three… But there’s no money to be made from such a...
When it comes to health and medicine, we have it very backward here in America. Health organizations promote things like diet soda while demonizing meat and eggs. It’s like we’re living in a world of opposites. Case in point: Scientists have identified a summer weed that’s jam-packed with vital nutrients and can lower your blood...
There are all kinds of body parts that start shrinking with age—and unless you’re talking about your waistline, none of them are good. But the worst of all has to be your brain. You can’t see it happening (like you can with, say, your muscles), but you can’t miss the effects. It can start as...
Going to the doctors these days is so predictable. You walk in thinking you feel fine, and walk out with a long list of prescriptions you’re supposed to take for the rest of your life. That’s not medicine. That’s drug pedaling. My goal as a doctor is to keep you OFF of prescription drugs, and...
Cancer. That six-letter word is a life-changer for anyone who hears it. Cancer therapies have come a long way, but they still leave a lot to be desired… as evidenced by the fact that cancer remains the nation’s number two killer. That’s why I’m always encouraging you to take proactive steps to make sure you...
I don’t know why modern medicine is always trying to reinvent the wheel. Grandmothers and medicine men have been treating, preventing, and curing common ailments with nature’s medicines for as long as time. Most of the drugs Big Pharma cooks up in their labs don’t come anywhere close to what nature provides in your back...
If you’re diabetic or pre-diabetic, you know there are certain foods you CAN’T have. We typically talk about the cakes and pastries, but most doctors will also have you swearing off healthier foods like fruit because of their sugar content. But as usual, that advice is short-sited. Because it fails to account for the protective...
How long has it been since you’ve indulged in cheese pizza, fried chicken, or even a glass of fresh-squeezed OJ without paying the price? If you’re on the millions suffering from heartburn, the answer is probably “too long.” If this is hitting a little too close to home, I have exciting news for you today. ...
You’ve heard the saying, “Have your cake and eat it, too.” If you’re diabetic or prediabetic, that’s all that is… a saying. Because eating cake, pizza, and cookies, and everything else that makes you happy – is a big no-no. Well if you’re trying to stave off diabetes, I’ve got great news for you today. ...