Say Goodbye to Varicose Veins
Q: I’ve been dealing with varicose veins for years. I’m so embarrassed by them that I won’t wear shorts—or even go swimming—in the summer. Plus, they constantly burn and itch. I don’t want to have surgery. Are there any natural treatments I can try?
Dr. G: Anyone who suffers from varicose veins knows that it’s much more than a cosmetic issue.
These unhealthy veins can cause your legs to burn and itch, they can lead to muscle cramps, and they can also lead to swelling of the legs and ankles.
More importantly, they’re a sign that your veins aren’t functioning properly.
The good news is that you don’t have to live in discomfort—and you don’t need to resort to painful vein-closing procedures, either.
There are a number of drug-free treatments that you can do from the comfort of your own home to help make your legs feel young again.
- Exercise. Varicose veins represent a circulation problem. They occur when valves in the veins that are supposed to stop blood from flowing backwards become weak, which causes blood to pool and veins to swell.
Exercise helps improve circulation in your legs, which encourages blood to keep moving instead of collecting in certain areas. As an added benefit, exercise helps to lower blood pressure, which can also play a role in varicose veins.
- Compression stockings. By applying physical pressure to the legs, these stockings help the veins continue moving blood to the heart. One study found that using these stocking for just one week helped reduce the pain and aching in the legs.
- Essential oils. Numerous essential oils have been shown to help alleviate the symptoms of varicose veins. Horse chestnut oil reduces pain, heaviness, and itching. And sea pine extract and Butcher’s broom extract have both been shown to reduce swelling.
- Diet. Certain potassium-rich foods can help treat varicose veins by reducing water retention in the body. These include almonds and pistachios, leafy greens, and fish like salmon and tuna.
- Flavonoids. These plant chemicals are antioxidants that have potent anti-inflammatory benefits throughout the body. Flavonoids have numerous mechanisms of action that are beneficial in the treatment of varicose veins.
They improve circulation, making blood less likely to pool in the veins, and they reduce blood pressure—two actions that can help shrink painful, swollen varicose veins.
To get your daily dose of flavonoids, loads up on veggies like bell peppers, spinach, and broccoli, citrus fruits like cherries and apples, and garlic.
- Don’t wear tight clothing. It can restrict blood flow, which is the last thing you want to do with this condition. Along these lines, avoid sitting cross-legged, which can restrict blood flow to the legs.
- Keep your legs elevated. You don’t have to do this all day, but try this simple trick when you’re reading a book or watching TV in the evenings. It improves circulation, reduces pressure in the legs, and lets gravity help with blood flow back to the heart.
Want me to answer your question next? Email me at email@example.com
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Tackle BOTH Sleep and Mood Problems
I love using unconventional methods to treat common problems. And by unconventional, I mean anything other than what the mainstream would tell you to do. Take mood and sleep problems, for example. Too many people get a prescription and are sent on their merry way. I call that “getting written off.” Instead, I’ve found a...
Top 5 Joint Pain Supplements
If you’re living with joint pain, you don’t want Band-Aids… you want solutions. Typically, it occurs as a result of two underlying problems: Inflammation Cartilage breakdown If you address those two issues, you can get to the ROOT of joint pain. But traditional heavy-duty painkillers often come with unwanted side effects… Some inexpensive supplements can...
HIDDEN Heart Attack Trigger (Beware)
At first glance, my home state of Arizona and Hawaii have little in common. But both share an important distinction. Neither participates in the risky practice of daylight saving time (DST). It’s just one of the many reasons I love living here. The rest of the country shifted their clocks forward by an hour nearly...
Is This Bathroom Habit Triggering CANCER?
It’s always a good idea to reduce your exposure to toxic chemicals. This can include things like ditching the Roundup to kill weeds in your yard or replacing your bathroom cleaner with natural solutions like vinegar and essential oils. But as you’re making the switch to a “cleaner” lifestyle, I’m guessing you never considered tossing...
Can Mouthwash STOP Arthritis Flare-ups?
If you have rheumatoid arthritis, you’ll do anything to prevent a flare-up. These painful episodes can be caused by stress, lack of sleep, overexertion—or sometimes, seemingly nothing at all. Usually, the quickest way to get to the other side is to calm out-of-control inflammation, bringing it under control as quickly as possible. But what’s CAUSING...
Are YOU Activating Alzheimer’s Genes?
If there was an on/off switch for Alzheimer’s disease, you’d want to ensure it stayed in the OFF position, right? Well, it turns out you DO have one. In fact, it’s not just one but HUNDREDS. Because these Alzheimer’s switches come in the form of your GENES. These genes are turned ON or OFF based...
BOOST Sagging Energy with 5 Supplements
Have you noticed that the older you get, the less you tend to do the things you love? Maybe you used to “cut a rug” swing dancing on Friday nights. But now you stay home to watch the latest episode of Grace and Frankie through your closed eyelids. Or maybe you used to play tennis...
Sleep Hack Boosts Memory and Alertness
Sometimes you wake up from a deep sleep feeling groggy—even after a full night’s rest. Have you ever wondered why that is? No matter how many hours you’re in bed, you might not be getting the quality sleep needed to feel alert. And that doesn’t just leave you feeling like you’ve been hit by a...
Surprising "More for Less" Knee Pain Solution
Rest. When you do something like sprain an ankle or strain an elbow it’s the FIRST thing you do. You instinctively know you need to give the joint some “time off” to recover. And it works. Because typically the swelling recedes and the pain subsides. And it’s not long before you’re back in the swing...
Daytime Trick Helps You Sleep Like a Baby
If you don’t have trouble falling asleep at night, and you sleep soundly until you wake, feeling fully rested in the morning… then you can thank your lucky stars. But you’re probably still reading because up to 75 percent of older adults have poor sleep quality. The mainstream’s answer is to pop a pill, whether...