Say Goodbye to Varicose Veins
Q: I’ve been dealing with varicose veins for years. I’m so embarrassed by them that I won’t wear shorts—or even go swimming—in the summer. Plus, they constantly burn and itch. I don’t want to have surgery. Are there any natural treatments I can try?
Dr. G: Anyone who suffers from varicose veins knows that it’s much more than a cosmetic issue.
These unhealthy veins can cause your legs to burn and itch, they can lead to muscle cramps, and they can also lead to swelling of the legs and ankles.
More importantly, they’re a sign that your veins aren’t functioning properly.
The good news is that you don’t have to live in discomfort—and you don’t need to resort to painful vein-closing procedures, either.
There are a number of drug-free treatments that you can do from the comfort of your own home to help make your legs feel young again.
- Exercise. Varicose veins represent a circulation problem. They occur when valves in the veins that are supposed to stop blood from flowing backwards become weak, which causes blood to pool and veins to swell.
Exercise helps improve circulation in your legs, which encourages blood to keep moving instead of collecting in certain areas. As an added benefit, exercise helps to lower blood pressure, which can also play a role in varicose veins.
- Compression stockings. By applying physical pressure to the legs, these stockings help the veins continue moving blood to the heart. One study found that using these stocking for just one week helped reduce the pain and aching in the legs.
- Essential oils. Numerous essential oils have been shown to help alleviate the symptoms of varicose veins. Horse chestnut oil reduces pain, heaviness, and itching. And sea pine extract and Butcher’s broom extract have both been shown to reduce swelling.
- Diet. Certain potassium-rich foods can help treat varicose veins by reducing water retention in the body. These include almonds and pistachios, leafy greens, and fish like salmon and tuna.
- Flavonoids. These plant chemicals are antioxidants that have potent anti-inflammatory benefits throughout the body. Flavonoids have numerous mechanisms of action that are beneficial in the treatment of varicose veins.
They improve circulation, making blood less likely to pool in the veins, and they reduce blood pressure—two actions that can help shrink painful, swollen varicose veins.
To get your daily dose of flavonoids, loads up on veggies like bell peppers, spinach, and broccoli, citrus fruits like cherries and apples, and garlic.
- Don’t wear tight clothing. It can restrict blood flow, which is the last thing you want to do with this condition. Along these lines, avoid sitting cross-legged, which can restrict blood flow to the legs.
- Keep your legs elevated. You don’t have to do this all day, but try this simple trick when you’re reading a book or watching TV in the evenings. It improves circulation, reduces pressure in the legs, and lets gravity help with blood flow back to the heart.
Want me to answer your question next? Email me at email@example.com
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
One of my problems with mainstream medicine is that every problem has a separate drug to treat it. And when that drug causes side effects? They just pile on more drugs to treat them. Nature’s approach is much more efficient – and this latest study is a perfect example of that. A recent study has...
Imagine it… Waking up with improved blood sugar… more joint flexibility… better energy… and a sharper memory. And when you look in the mirror? Fewerwrinkles… and taut, youthful skin. In fact, your friends and family might even say you look and act decades younger. If you’re like most seniors, this probably sounds too good to be...
If you’re like most women, you’d do just about anything to avoid breast cancer. That’s why you never miss your routine mammogram. The only problem is? Mammograms only catch cancer AFTER you have it. But you shouldn’t have to cross your fingers and hope for best. Now you don’t have to. Because researchers have uncovered a certain...
Cervical cancer is nothing to mess with. It’s one of the leading causes of cancer death among women… and it can be difficult to detect. Your mainstream doctor pushes routine Pap smears because they can detect changes in the cervix BEFORE cancer develops. It sounds good… the problem is that it only detects around 50% of...
Maintaining healthy vitamin D levels is one of the best things you can do for your health. But short of getting your blood levels checked, how can you really know if you’re getting enough? It turns out there’s an easier way to find out if your vitamin D levels are up to snuff. You don’t...
Prostate cancer kills thousands of American men every year… many of them seniors. In fact, this disease is so prolific that a new case is diagnosed every three minutes. And that’s why you’re doing everything you can to make sure you’re not the next victim. But according to a new study, having a certain condition makes...
It’s a new year! And you’re probably ready to make some changes. If you’re looking to improve your health in 2019, you should start with your sleep. Not getting enough sleep can lead to anxiety and depression… impair your memory and cognitive function… even cause you to gain weight. Now, researchers discovered yet another SHOCKING...
If you have never damage, you know how miserable it can be. Maybe you’ve got stabbing pains in your back…. or a burning feeling in your legs you deal with all day… or even numbness in your fingers and toes. Even worse? Once your nerves are damaged, they will be that way FOREVER. And that’s...
I’ve talked a lot about antibiotic resistance recently – and for good reason. It’s a MAJOR threat to your health that could take us back to the Dark Ages. But antibiotic resistant superbugs are just part of the story. It turns out that bacteria could be deadly for an entirely different reason. In fact, they...
It amazes me how often the mainstream medical community gets heart health wrong. Take statins to lower heart risk… WRONG. Avoid meat to help you heart… WRONG. Even the new blood pressure guidelines? You guessed it… WRONG. Now, the list just got longer. Because there’s something else they’re telling you to avoid to “protect” your...