Say Goodbye to Varicose Veins
Q: I’ve been dealing with varicose veins for years. I’m so embarrassed by them that I won’t wear shorts—or even go swimming—in the summer. Plus, they constantly burn and itch. I don’t want to have surgery. Are there any natural treatments I can try?
Dr. G: Anyone who suffers from varicose veins knows that it’s much more than a cosmetic issue.
These unhealthy veins can cause your legs to burn and itch, they can lead to muscle cramps, and they can also lead to swelling of the legs and ankles.
More importantly, they’re a sign that your veins aren’t functioning properly.
The good news is that you don’t have to live in discomfort—and you don’t need to resort to painful vein-closing procedures, either.
There are a number of drug-free treatments that you can do from the comfort of your own home to help make your legs feel young again.
- Exercise. Varicose veins represent a circulation problem. They occur when valves in the veins that are supposed to stop blood from flowing backwards become weak, which causes blood to pool and veins to swell.
Exercise helps improve circulation in your legs, which encourages blood to keep moving instead of collecting in certain areas. As an added benefit, exercise helps to lower blood pressure, which can also play a role in varicose veins.
- Compression stockings. By applying physical pressure to the legs, these stockings help the veins continue moving blood to the heart. One study found that using these stocking for just one week helped reduce the pain and aching in the legs.
- Essential oils. Numerous essential oils have been shown to help alleviate the symptoms of varicose veins. Horse chestnut oil reduces pain, heaviness, and itching. And sea pine extract and Butcher’s broom extract have both been shown to reduce swelling.
- Diet. Certain potassium-rich foods can help treat varicose veins by reducing water retention in the body. These include almonds and pistachios, leafy greens, and fish like salmon and tuna.
- Flavonoids. These plant chemicals are antioxidants that have potent anti-inflammatory benefits throughout the body. Flavonoids have numerous mechanisms of action that are beneficial in the treatment of varicose veins.
They improve circulation, making blood less likely to pool in the veins, and they reduce blood pressure—two actions that can help shrink painful, swollen varicose veins.
To get your daily dose of flavonoids, loads up on veggies like bell peppers, spinach, and broccoli, citrus fruits like cherries and apples, and garlic.
- Don’t wear tight clothing. It can restrict blood flow, which is the last thing you want to do with this condition. Along these lines, avoid sitting cross-legged, which can restrict blood flow to the legs.
- Keep your legs elevated. You don’t have to do this all day, but try this simple trick when you’re reading a book or watching TV in the evenings. It improves circulation, reduces pressure in the legs, and lets gravity help with blood flow back to the heart.
Want me to answer your question next? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
To a brighter day,
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
Written By Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D.
For years he’s been the trusted doctor for celebrities, world-class athletes, and countless seniors looking to reclaim their health.
And now…for the first time ever… he’s making his medical breakthroughs available to readers all across America.
Dr. Richard Gerhauser, M.D. is one of the most pioneering and innovative minds in medicine today – and he delivers cutting-edge cures each month through his Natural Health Response newsletter.
Natural Health Response readers get full access to Dr. Gerhauser’s protocols for chronic pain… heart disease… diabetes… Alzheimer’s… and even cancer. These are the very same treatments Dr. Gerhauser recommends to his own patients at his practice in Tucson, Arizona.
In addition to being a board-certified medical doctor, Dr. Gerhauser has earned two master’s degrees and has served as a clinical professor at the University of Arizona.
And as a physician at the world-famous Canyon Ranch, Dr. Gerhauser treated celebrities from around the world who paid dearly for the type of next-generation health information he provides Natural Health Response readers each month.
View More Free Articles
Maybe you’re trying to control your weight or blood sugar. So what does your doctor tell you to do? Count calories… eat healthier… and exercise more. But, believe it or not, ONE bad habit could be ruining all of your hard work. And it could be putting you on the fast track to obesity, diabetes,...
Let me ask you a question. How many prescription medications are you taking right now? If you’re like lots of American seniors, you’re probably taking plenty. Maybe one drug for your heart… one for your diabetes… and maybe even an antidepressant or anti-anxiety med. But what if you could solve ALL of these problems with...
They say there are two guarantees in life: death and taxes. And I’d add another one to the list: If you get diagnosed with cancer, I guarantee your doctor will tell you to get chemotherapy. Better safe than sorry, right? Wrong. A new study on chemotherapy and breast cancer is about to turn the entire cancer treatment...
Tired of giving up everything you love to chase down perfect blood sugar levels? I don’t blame you. Who wants some cranky doctor telling them what they can and can’t eat? Not me. So instead of telling you what you CAN’T eat, I’m going to tell you what you CAN. Because ADDING one simple food...
It’s one of the scariest things about getting older. I’m not talking about getting cancer…or diabetes…or even dying. It’s the fear of losing your mind. With Alzheimer’s at an all-time high (and climbing), you have every right to be worried. But there’s a common nighttime problem that may be sending your risk of brain shrinkage…...
I don’t know about you… but I have no plans to “grow old gracefully.” I’m going to fight Father Time tooth-and-nail. But there’s nothing that makes you feel older than looking in the mirror and seeing new wrinkles. We’ve always been told there’s nothing we can do about it. NONSENSE! My friends at Gold Leaf...
Why does dieting have to be so hard? You practically stave yourself… you work out like a Green Beret… and the scale won’t budge. But what if your weight issues aren’t your fault at all? New research proves that a simple diet deficiency may be FORCING our bodies to pack on pounds. And correcting it...
Being diagnosed with cancer is terrifying enough. But here’s where things get even worse… When your doctor tells you that your type of cancer is particularly hard to treat. But what if there was an all-natural way to make these hard-to-treat cancers easy to kill? Believe it or not, the solution exists… and it’s probably sitting...
There aren’t many guarantees in medicine – but this is as close to a guarantee as I can give. If you keep your arteries clear, there’s a very good chance you’ll NEVER have a heart attack. But here’s the problem… Mainstream medicine wants you to protect your arteries by taking cholesterol-lowering statin drugs. And that’s...
Q: My daughter has anxiety issues. We have been investigating CBD oil for a while, but are confused about one thing: Is there one CBD oil for anxiety, another variety for pain, etc. Or does it come "one size fits all?” -Larry P. Dr. G: I don’t blame you for being confused. Our government spent years driving...